Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Good Deal?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  03:01 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stutzman108 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey guys, with the current conversion rate of the GBP to USD, how well do you think I did investing in this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...:AAQ:US:1123

But to be serious, the actual reason I bought this is because it will be my first GBP to be added to my collection

Edited by Stutzman108
02/24/2012 03:06 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
210 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  03:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless the coin is of top quality, it will only be worth face value. Allowing for postage, you probably paid that.

If the coin is fake it will be worth less.

I think the real value of a coin is not how much cash it can generate, but how much it means to you as part of your collection. At the moment I only have 2 US coins from the 19th century, probable value around $50 if I am lucky. But they represent a huge piece of human and numismatic history, so to me they are worth more.
Valued Member
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  05:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 14ers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your post brought back a memory! A few years back I stopped to gas up the car on the way to a coin show. As the cashier made change I noticed a coin in the cash register with Queen Elizabeth's portrait. I asked what he had and he said a Canadian nickel and asked if I wanted it. I took it in change and it turned out to be a British Pound quite similar to yours. I swapped it at the coin show for something I wanted worth about what you paid for yours.
United Kingdom
30 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bradez72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
being from the uk u find it funny that you can buy money for money and make money!..... unless you paid it up in the postage..
Valued Member
United Kingdom
128 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  05:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MikeG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also being from the UK I was amazed at some of the prices of UK £1 coins advertised in the USA; we have them floating around in our pockets and I don't think there are any really rare low mintage ones.
Perhaps I should rake through my pockets and advertise them on ebay.com, LOL.

I usually notice them in change towards the end of the year for that year date, or at the beginning of the next year. Indeed when they first come out they are in uncirculated condition, some could almost be described as mint. I sometimes put away a nice design myself.

Here's a useful page illustrating the different designs for the different years...
http://www.royalmint.com/discover/u...e-pound-coin

Beware of fakes; they reckon around 3% of all £1 coins in circulation (around 43 million) are fakes; some are getting incredibly difficult to recognise due to the increasing skills of the counterfeiters and the banks basically ignore fakes and they go unrecognised through the system; most can't be bothered to sort them out.

Mike.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
797 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add augsburger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To b honest you'd be better off finding someone living in the UK that wants to swap coins such as state quarters or dollar coins than buying something!
Canada
31 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add britcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hey stutz.. I have one I think its 1985 maybe with the Welsh Leek pictured on it I know I cant B/S/T but can I give?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
210 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2012  11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look out for 1986,1988,1998 and 1999 £1 coins. The first two are reasonably rare, with the 1988 coin having a unique design on the reverse. The last two were only released in proof sets. Also worth looking for is the 2008 £1 coin with the royal arms on the reverse, instead of the shield.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05