Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

whats the best price to buy silver at?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  9:19 pm Show Profile Check phankins11's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add phankins11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm not sure how to ask this question, but here goes. This is off the heels of trying to buy 90% silver from eBay, stuff that should have no numistmatic value. But I keep getting outbid by dollars over melt value per coin. Am I just defeating myself by sticking as close to spot as possible, do these bidders know something I don't, are people banking on the $100 per ounce dream price, what's going on? I also see this with bullion as well. When trying to buy bullion, what's a good pricing model to follow when trying to buy silver on eBay and off.

You can call me PJ
Edited by phankins11
02/24/2012 9:20 pm
Valued Member
United States
358 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ICanSeeYou7687 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your local coin shops will prob be your best bet. You can also check out places such as apmex.com, provident, silvertowne, goldmart, etc... but beware of shipping costs!

Also a lot of prices on ebay are inflated due to that 9% charge they charge on their auctions
Learn More...
United States
6824 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
when I was looking to buy a 2012 ASE: I checked at my local coin dealers, and they sell for spot plus about $7-8 (that's their cost plus a little for them). So when I found some at a local coin show, I was comfortable with the price. Same would apply to 90% coins. You would have to add in the fees with ebay and paypal to see if its worth it for you.
Edited by Fuzzy317
02/24/2012 9:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add afclassic87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pm me and I'll give you my oppion. I tried to pm you but your email isn't set up.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  10:43 pm  Show Profile Check phankins11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add phankins11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Afclasic87 pm sent, email set as well.
You can call me PJ
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aandabooks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I'm lucky to have three shops in the same small town that all have reasonable prices but a little lacking in selection. The main shop has Ase & canadian bullion for spot+$3. Generic bullion at spot. Junk silver at melt and any junk silver in collection holders for melt +$2.

The second guy is selling out of the front of my gun shop. He will match whatever my main guy is seling for. His selection can be very slim but has been improving lately.

The third shop is a resale shop. Don't get much there but occasionally they have a little something. Picked up a Bulls 4th championship 1 oz coin for under spot. Supposedly has a mintage of 10,000. They will sometimes accept a low offer. Walked out with that for $30 today with silver at $35+.
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  11:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aandabooks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot to add, if any of you are in the Central Illinois area I will point you in the direction of my sources.
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  03:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EarlB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy as close to melt as I can get. For awhile thre I was getting a fare amount of it off ebay but since it started getting into the mid 30's - it's been more difficult. It still can be done though but it requires a great deal of time, watching a great deal of auctions, and entering alot of bids at the end. Every now and then you do score.

Like others said the local shops are a super great place as well but you have to shop around. Some price by the weight, some by multiples of FV - some charge tax, some don't. I've found that after you go into them enough most accept offers as well and I also have shops that if I tell them I'm getting paid on such and such day and will be looking for so much FV in whatever coins I want - they get it and have it for me that day. I'm not lucky enough to have found a shop YET that sells for melt value..if anyone knows of one in the D/FW area and cares to share - let me know :)

Most shops I go to get a premium over melt but as I've bought more with them, they reduce that premium. Say from the first time I went in I think it was 10%, then 7%, then 5% and today after buying another $55 FV I got them down to basically melt. And this was at a shop that doesn't tack on sales tax. Those are becoming my favorite shops :)

Earl
Edited by EarlB
02/25/2012 03:42 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
870 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  09:54 am  Show Profile Check kookoox10's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kookoox10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buying scrap silver and one ouncers on eBay is a losing endeavor if you're trying to beat the price. Everybody pays a huge premium. You're better off going to a local dealer. And you would haven't to pay the shipping fees too!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most profitable time to get in according to my math, is at around 1 dollar per oz....

In the meantime I shall just be ! Waiting for my time to come back out of hiding an strike on as much as I can get to cordinate with my plans to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

IF an when it hits that MAGIC number....
Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  7:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I like the local and on-line dealers too. There is no sales tax on coins in my state, even though we do have a sales tax on most items.

My favorite place is a small local pawn shop that sells at spot prices. They often do not have much to sell but when they do it can be a pretty good deal. I got 5 Peace dollars from them for $115 a few weeks ago. I'm not a big fan of the design of this coin but 0.77 oz. of silver IS 0.77 oz. of silver, right? I much prefer the Morgan dollar design. Anyway, that was not a bad price at all and all of these coins were at least Fine grade if not XF grade.
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add terrib to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only have one coin shop in the area I'm in. So far, they have been priced the best, no sales tax and no shipping. I have bought on-line as well. I do plan to check out some of the local pawn shops to see what they have. We went to a coin show last week, no great deals there. I think most of the older dealers didn't really want to part with their coins. I had found better deals at the coin shop.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
545 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  01:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Amaths to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never been to a coin show but there is one coming in town soon. Just wondering how is it like. Do people usually find good deals, such as spot for bullion, often there? I surely like to get some bullion coins or/and bars.
Pillar of the Community
United States
667 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin show can be hit or miss
Edited by mkfarm
02/26/2012 11:03 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also would like to attend a coin show sometime just to see what it is like. I'm sure that with some careful shopping, it is possible to find a good deal or two. Not that this is guaranteed or anything. If I do find one and go there, I will bring some cash and some silver bars as tradin' material.
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverEye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been buying a little here on this board in the For Sale section, and another board. Great prices if you shop around. I'll buy any domestic or foreign silver coins at under spot and feel great about it.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageShop at PDS Coins!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05