Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Early Dollar too good to be true?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  11:28 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add summit315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello All.
I'm new to this forum I collect more modern dollars and twentieth century silver coins.
I got this dollar in a small box of coins I bought at a local auction. It was wrapped in a paper with a hand written note stating it was found in and old house during construction. Again sound too good to be true.
Doing some research on line I see that this date has known fakes. So looking for opinions as to whether this is authentic. It looks right in person and has a dark grey color not apparent in the photos. If its authentic I think I would have it graded.
Thanks for any help or opinions!

Edited by summit315
02/25/2012 12:44 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12769 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was wrapped in a paper with a hand written note stating it was found in and old house during construction. Again sound too good to be true.

So YOU were wrapped in a paper?
Just kidding you know.
Not sure about those types but sure someone that is will pop with an answer. I don't think they prited info on the side of coins back then. Lets see what some experts say.
just carl
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
6627 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6842 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I see that this date has known fakes.

That is a an under-statement. This coin type is widely counterfeited.

Quote:
sound too good to be true.

And we know what that usually means...

That being said, this coin does not stand out (to me anyway) with any common counterfeit give-aways. The edge lettering actually lends credence to its possible authenticity since many counterfeiters don't bother with that aspect.

It, however, is pretty rare to have a coin this old and this worn with out any dings, scratches or gouges.

IMO, I'd get it authenticated and graded.

Good luck!
Links to ALL previous "Days of..." Threads:
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...08352#108352
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, summit315!

First impression says fake.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1195 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  1:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add argentum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From a strictly financial perspective, so long as the coins in that box are worth, in fair market value, the cost of that box plus whatever the TPG fee is, you dont have much to loose either way.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3171 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  1:27 pm  Show Profile Check CoinsKelly's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
biggfredd - what is telling you fake? I know nothing about these (they are WAY out of my budget) so I am curious about your first impression. Thanks!
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nothing is sticking out to me but I am far from an expert on this type but have seen quite a few fakes on this forum and other websites and this one doesn't have any of the characteristics most of those have had
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MorganDude26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see anything that would lead me to beleive it is fake, but I would send it out to a TPG company like PCGS, NGC, or ANACS to get it authenticated and graded. These coin are highly counterfeited, so TPG is a worthwhile precaution, and also worth the cost.
Good Luck
P.S. I would go with PCGS, But that is just me
Edited by MorganDude26
02/25/2012 3:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5983 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  3:25 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would wholeheartedly agree...get it authenticated/slabbed before you get your hopes up.

She's a good looking coin, nice strike!
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
02/25/2012 3:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1526 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks legit to this old timer ... What does it weigh?
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add summit315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks everyone for your thoughts Looking at the coin I get the feeling its genuine.
If it's fake it's a good one. I will have it graded and post the results.
Thanks again Paul
BTW Just Carl thanks for the typo discovery. I was wrapped in paper once but thats a story for another forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5189 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I am not seeing any red flags but this is a commonly counterfeited series.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1635 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hard to say looks good but amazing if it really is real like you said too good to be true?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9594 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It, however, is pretty rare to have a coin this old and this worn with out any dings, scratches or gouges.
I see a few gouges on the eagle, but that's an interesting observation--overall the wear is pretty gentle for this coin. If genuine, this is worth a nice sum--can anyone ID the die pair? Good luck with it.

Learn More...
United States
16832 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  9:46 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Prior to throwing the money into a slab - which I'm all for, it's a $1000+ coin if real - take a drive into Boston to JJ Teaparty, at 49 Broomfield St in Boston. They're a reputable dealer with experience in this category, and should be able to offer an educated opinion as to its' authenticity. Furthermore, you might then be able to piggyback a submission to PCGS with them if it's genuine, and save yourself the expense of a PCGS membership.

Might want to call ahead to make sure the appropriate person will be in the building, and do it soon because they're giving up the brick-and-mortar end of the business next month.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05