Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unstamped replica coins, please help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  6:03 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add primocoins2011 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello All,
I'm new to the forum, and need some advice. I purchased some replica coins from eBay. They were some high value coins, that I wanted to use to fill some spots in my collection. In the auction listing it stated that the coin were marked "copy", and the picture showed coins that had been marked. While waiting on those to arrive, I won a few more replica coin auctions. The first coins arrived in the mail yesterday, it was 5 coins total. And not a single coin was stamped with "copy" or replica. These coins are very good copies. I took them to my local coin shop, and they couldn't tell they were counterfeit until I told them. My question is how can I go about getting out of purchasing these other counterfeit coins from this seller? The seller has even went as far as sending me a message, saying that "if I wanted to buy more counterfeit coins. That they could supply what ever I wanted, or needed". What do I do in this situation to avoid negatives on my eBay account? Thanks for your help.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4252 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can ask the seller to send you coins that are stamped with COPY on them. I know they send them with it or without, you can ask for them either way.
Learn More...
United States
17310 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:08 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see no downside for you here. You knew they were fakes, and therefore paid a price you were willing to pay. It is not illegal for you to own them, just for you to sell them.

You're not going to be able to wipe the seller from the face of the Earth unless they're within the US. I'm guessing they're not. If they are, let me know and we'll....induce a little regret on his part. I don't sense you're morally able to propagate the problem by ever selling them, so enjoy your hole-fillers and just don't patronize the seller in the future.

You could always come up with a stamp of your own if it's that bothersome.

Edit to add: Was all your communication with the seller within the eBay system? If so, even with an overseas seller you can file a "Substantially Not As Described" complaint against the seller, not so much to recover your money as to make him go away. The Feds would nail eBay to the wall if they knew eBay was willingly allowing the sale of non-stamped replicas....another consideration is that, effective February 20th, replica coin sales are banned from eBay.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05