Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How to tell die crack from similar PMD?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
59 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  11:00 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add denny5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Last few days I went through all posts in this forum and got ideas about some errors. However, I am still not sure how to tell die crack from other PMD or scratch. My understanding is die cracks are more likely to be above surface beside it, while most PMD are grooves. However, looking at a coin, sometimes it's really difficult to tell is it below or above surface.

I am still quite new to this area and had never actually see a die crack coin. Please forgive me if I missed something stand to reason or so.

Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
872 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  12:22 am  Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A die crack is an open line in the die. When a coin is stamped metal flows into the crack thus causing a raised (relief) line on the coin.
Same with "cuds" where part of the die has broken off.

PMD usually removes metal or, sometimes shifts it around (so some could be raised but it has come from somewhere else on the coin, which will be incused [below the surface]).
The only PMD that I could think of to give a raised surface would be where someone attacks it with a welder or gas torch and melts metal onto the surface. I haven't come across this but would not be surprised).

Jeff
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people He gives it to." Joe Moore
Edited by Jeff
02/27/2012 12:23 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I haven't come across this but would not be suprised

With erkle and trout playing coin torturer in the back shed you never know what kind of horrific scaring a coin could have.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
513 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  04:22 am  Show Profile Check the-purple-penny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add the-purple-penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same as trying to identify the difference between surface scratches (cleaning damage) and die polish lines. Sometimes it's very difficult to tell and even harder when you haven't got the coin in hand. Scratches are incuse and die polish is raised. Scratches are bad, die polish is good.
Valued Member
Australia
59 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add denny5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys.

So it looks like in most cases, something raised is good and incuse is bad. :-)

Just wondering what kind of magnifier are you using? I am using one about 30x but sometimes it's really hard to tell it's raised or incuse. Do I need to upgrade it?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
30x should be plenty! What works sometimes is using a strong light and tilting the coin face so that in some angles you can see shadows from the detail. If there is a shadow from the line it is propably a crach. If there isnt then it is probably PMD.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1588 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  03:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some coins are very hard to tell,from these first 3 photos I would say this was a die crack.

but super macro reveals otherwise.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2442 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  06:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jeff, you wrote one of the best and clearest definitions for a die crack! Thanks
Appleangel, great photo's. the naked eye can be deceived.
Valued Member
Australia
59 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add denny5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool, cool, cool! Light and shadow will make difference. I will try later. Thanks appleangel07. The photos are really detailed.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05