Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Acetone!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
451 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  02:20 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add brokencompass to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have recently started experimenting with Acetone. I was wondering if someone has had experience using acetone to conserve coins and what methods you have used to get the best results. Please share your techniques and methods.

Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  03:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Search the forums for acetone and related words. No point repeating info another time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10881 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  05:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Read this link, I have never used acetone but if I do I will try this http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=102116 PS Read up on using acetone before you try it in the past posts.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12692 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As already noted possibly one of the most discussed topics here. Using that Search Tab should pop up with all kinds of info on Acetone.
Regardless, please note that on almost all such posts, there are extensive warnings about that chemical. It is highly flamable and very dangerous to breath. Using it you have to be carefull.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
874 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mysilveryears to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone is not a 'conservation' agent. It is merely a strong solvent that will remove low molecular weight organic substances like oil and grease from surfaces. It will NOT remove corrosion, verdigris, old fingerprints, heavy staining or toning. It evaporates very quickly in the open air, and is highly flammable. Be careful! Even a minor spill could cause you problems. It will dissolve linoleum or any petroleum based product; attack formica countertops; eat right through certain man-made fabrics. It is not harmful to the body in small amounts but it will absorb natural body oils and dry out skin. Soft cotton Q-tips are my preferred method of application. It's great stuff if properly handled and used.
Valued Member
Turkey
80 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apeka to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not ever clean your coins. They are better with their scars and dirts. But if you will cif cream results better than acetone. :D
Pillar of the Community
United States
3489 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  1:34 pm  Show Profile Check Maineman750's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But if you will cif cream results better than acetone

Please do not try cif cream...acetone is much safer and as suggested, do a search and you'll find plenty of good info on it's use. Pay attention to BadThad's posts on it as he is a chemist.He also recommends xylene.
Lincolncentresource.net
Valued Member
Turkey
80 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apeka to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Please do not try cif cream...acetone is much safer and as suggested, do a search and you'll find plenty of good info on it's use. Pay attention to BadThad's posts on it as he is a chemist.He also recommends xylene.

I was being sarcastic.

Coins are not dirty dishes...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3489 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  3:22 pm  Show Profile Check Maineman750's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was being sarcastic.

Gotcha,but you'd be surprised how many people use dishsoap, that and the fact that acetone is safe to rinse coins in, I just had to assume the worst.

Lincolncentresource.net
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12692 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BUT what about a mixture of dish soap and Acetone?
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3489 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  9:25 pm  Show Profile Check Maineman750's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
BUT what about a mixture of dish soap and Acetone?

You said you were going to stop drinking acetone carl...looks like you fell off the wagon
Lincolncentresource.net
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  11:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It works on some grime but I find the after result to have a milky finish. Probably caused by the quick evaporation. Like when you play with butane it leaves a white residue.
It is volatile, read your house insurance policy over before using.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12692 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It works on some grime but I find the after result to have a milky finish.

But what do the coins look like?

Quote:
You said you were going to stop drinking acetone carl...looks like you fell off the wagon

Never said that. Said I'd stop mixing Acetone with the Vodka in my Matini's.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05