Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Precious Metals and Bullion - Gold, Silver, Copper, Platinum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Help pricing a 18K white gold diamond ring....

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Silverhawk74
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  02:46 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Nothing in this for me, as I am selling this for a friend I met at the bar I work at. perhaps his wedding band from past marriage. Real nice fits me great, makes me wish I could afford it. He paid 3600 for it, an wants 2 grand. Nine real nice diamonds as I figure my picture shows minus a zoom even. I will let you guys decide on that....

I started it at 2500 an I figure that is a dream price, but he wants 2 grand for it, so fees an all figured I would shoot for the stars to start....

Curious to hear what you all think its max value is, and I really doubt with the current diamond market any of your appraisals would be much, as obvious there is not much gold weight. I saw what I thought were lesser rings price higher on eBay, so who knows only one way to find out eh....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...150767781857

Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  03:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
any time I can get half of retail/appraisal, I'm pickled tink. 25% would be more realistic.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
834 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swrbxxx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you get $1800 consider yourself very lucky.
Is there a Gem cert. with the ring, small diamonds such a those only command a premium if they have flawless color.
most places I know would pay 18k weight, and $10-$30 per diamond
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1998 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  09:29 am  Show Profile Check trdhrdr007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It won't sell at that price. The only way you will get even half of what the guy paid is if he was a good/smart shopper. By that I mean he bought at low retail. I can't begin to count the number of times I've looked at an item someone wanted to sell at 60-70% of what they paid. That's not unreasonable if the item is almost new, but it is if they paid full retail & the item is regularly available on sale for less than their asking price.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1046 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidZerbato to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to sell this, your description needs some work IMO. You say you work a a jewelry store, I know you said coin/jewelry but people will assume you work at a jewelry store, and yet you don't post a ring size, state the size of each diamond, the total weight etc. No offense, but there is no assurance from reading that description that you know what you are talking about or that it is even real. The story sounds like a scam and you don't state how you know it's 18k or that the total weight is actually 1.5 cts. IMO, eBay is not the place to sell something like this unless you have a reputable store/account. Even then I don't see higher quality jewelry being a big seller on eBay.

You should at least get it appraised and include that. That will lend some credibility to the listing. Finally, you did another pet peeve of mine on eBay, you have a buy it now price for almost the same as the bid price. Why even have a bid?

I'm not trying to bash you, I've tried to sell similar things on eBay and these are the lessons I learned. You might eventually get somebody to buy it, but I don't that at that price you will have any bids. I do wish you luck in selling it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"You say you work a a jewelry store, I know you said coin/jewelry but people will assume you work at a jewelry store, and yet you don't post a ring size, state the size of each diamond, the total weight etc. No offense, but there is no assurance from reading that description that you know what you are talking about or that it is even real. The story sounds like a scam and you don't state how you know it's 18k or that the total weight is actually 1.5 cts."

Good call Dave, because as I read this auction, I thought the EXACT same thing, lol....

I simply forgot to ask him the ring size, an plan to update that info, and change to 1.5 cts, lol...

I knew darn good an well it would never bring that much, but I can list it for no charge, so no harm in trying for a while. I figure my friend may consider a more realistic asking price once he sees it does not move at around the price he wants....

Great cal BF, I was thinking in my own mind, 25% of retail would be pretty good. just like a brand new Ferrari as nice as they are, as soon as you drive it off the lot, it loses a significant amount of its value, just is what it is eh.....
Edited by Silverhawk74
02/27/2012 12:20 pm
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got a 1 karat 14k diamond ring (wasn't a wedding band) that had 7 diamonds in it (so the diamonds were probably about the same size) and they were VVS1 and D in color for about $400.00 on eBay (was appraised at 3,200.00 from jewelry store) so I think that price is very very high in my opinion. It being a wedding band will decrease its value instead of increasing it also, mine can be worn at any time this would have to mean something to be worn. I think he would be lucky to get 5-600 for the ring and I bet there isn't a pawn shop around that would give him close to that price. I know white gold is higher and harder to refine but most people like yellow over white for some reason so that may hold it back as well
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It did check out on the diamond gun, all nine diamonds. And the gold tested good at 18K....

Now I just need to figure out how to get it certified/appraised, an find out if by chance he still has receipt or some paperwork....

My girlfriend was like...."how did you get it to stand up like that?"

And I replied telekinesis of course, lol...
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
9194 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
He paid $3600 for it, and wants 2 grand.
I'm sorry to say--he got taken by the retail end of the jewelry business. Rings like this are sold as "total carat weight", but (obviously) a single 1.5ct is worth much more than than 9 baguette/brilliants. If they tested out as real, that's about all you need to know--they aren't the kind of diamond for certification. The wholesale price of these diamonds is lot less than when they're fitted into a "1.5ct" ring. The gold weight of the ring is worth more--sad but true. If the ring were mine, I would get it professionally cleaned and measured for fit (helpful when selling), and then check out prices on similar, used rings.

Edited by DVCollector
02/27/2012 10:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"I would get it professionally cleaned and measured for fit (helpful when selling), and then check out prices on similar, used rings."

I have been trying to find a similar one, will hunt more on that DVcollector great idea....

We have a nice new jewelry cleaning machine coming in, that you stick it in, an get it out like fifteen minutes later, an I heard the results are really nice...

I gave Paul my number for peace of mind obviously since he trusted we with his ring, but I forgot to get his as I was busy working the bar, or I would have already called him an got better info. I had it at work with me Sat, but my bosses day off, so I could only test gold an diamonds.....

I will take it by an get his appraise an size it, clean it etc., an revise....

Thanks for all the help guys great info....
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1496 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  02:47 am  Show Profile Check poboxw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add poboxw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The story sounds like a scam and you don't state how you know it's 18k or that the total weight is actually 1.5 cts.
Hehe~ I never took you to be a scam artist there Silverhawk. Now I have to read your (mis)adventures at that fictitious coin/jewelry shop of yours with a chunk of Himalayan rock salt. J/K

My suggestion is to loose the "bad memories of a past relationship" bit. Back-stories like that doesn't exactly scream "buy me". Providing exact weights and composition would help a lot too. Perhaps take it to your workplace and have an appraiser you are friendly with to give you a quick professional once-over, maybe even a written statement or certificate of some sort. Factual numbers calm buyers, else you'll have to really really wait for a sucker to swim by.

Edited for grammar
Edited by poboxw
02/28/2012 02:49 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hawk... my wife buys and sells jewelry in one of her businesses. Most of what she buys and sells is just costume jewelry but many people in the wholesale jewelry business handle both, so she knows a lot of wholesalers. They have told her that the markup from wholesale to retail is about 100-125%, so a ring that they pay $1000 for wholesale is often sold for between $2000-2500.

This same kind of markup also works in reverse when one is selling. If this ring really sold for $3600 and that was a fair retail price, then $15-1800 was probably more like the wholesale price. This is probably close to what it will bring from an individual buyer and that only if s/he sees it and really likes it.

I agree with the comments about small diamonds. They make lovely accents on rings and other jewelry but their value is relatively low. If you take jewelry to a store that buys 2nd hand jewelry, they often will not buy or even appraise loose diamonds that are less than 1/2 carat each. If a piece of jewelry has small diamonds on it, they won't add a lot to their bid for the item.
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thatstuffisjanky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i love diamonds! but there a tuff sell in todays economy... all I can say is that most places that buy stuff like that your looking at scrap price :/...and most diamond rings for a guy is mostly a pinky ring! good luck with the sale hope you get wat your asking for!
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A friend of mine used to buy platinum at 90% of melt, and had dealers all over the country selling to him. Lots of it had small diamonds in it.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Observations:

Ring size is important if stones go all around, because you can't just add a chunk of sold or take some out.

Nothing amazing about it.

"gold ring an nine diamonds"--and, or better yet, with.

Looks rode hard and put away wet, lots of nix. Buff it up, even if you just polish it on a rough towel.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps I overuse the word "amazing", lol.....

Good call BF, will polish it up tom at work, an place in our new jewelry cleaning machine....
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05