Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I don't think this is PMD

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Australia
872 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  12:11 am Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I was sorting some Bradman 20¢ (that I originally took from a roll) with a view to listing a few on eBay. Then I noticed several of them have almost identical damage/flaw....

A rough pit in the Queen's cheek. I suspect some dirt or grit on the die. Disappeared or broke up after only a few coins.

Let me know your theories -my first theory is often wrong.

Jeff

"If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people He gives it to." Joe Moore
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1587 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think your right Jeff,a sticky spot in the die has caused this,i've seen it on a dollar coin I have & was referred to as delamination if I remember correctly.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  12:56 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too consistent to be PMD. Must've been something on the die.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
975 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jeff,
This also seems to be a common place for dents.
I have a 5c with a similar dent, and I either have (or have seen) 50c.
Just guessing, but I think that may be the bottom die, and if something falls in, being near the center and a low point in the detail of the die, whatever falls in, tends to end up there.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add War Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't buy it...yes its an error, but not an 'intereresting' one from my personal point of view...
Pillar of the Community
Australia
872 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  5:48 pm  Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it may be common. I was just sorting some 2011 50¢ bags (to select the best to keep) when I came across one of those with virtually identical pit.

Jeff
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people He gives it to." Joe Moore
Valued Member
Australia
490 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steve - Oz 50c man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I have found similar looking through a bag of 2005 remembrance 50c's
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05