Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I don't think this is PMD  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Australia
873 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  12:11 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I was sorting some Bradman 20¢ (that I originally took from a roll) with a view to listing a few on eBay. Then I noticed several of them have almost identical damage/flaw....

A rough pit in the Queen's cheek. I suspect some dirt or grit on the die. Disappeared or broke up after only a few coins.

Let me know your theories -my first theory is often wrong.

Jeff

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1589 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think your right Jeff,a sticky spot in the die has caused this,i've seen it on a dollar coin I have & was referred to as delamination if I remember correctly.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  12:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too consistent to be PMD. Must've been something on the die.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
979 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jeff,
This also seems to be a common place for dents.
I have a 5c with a similar dent, and I either have (or have seen) 50c.
Just guessing, but I think that may be the bottom die, and if something falls in, being near the center and a low point in the detail of the die, whatever falls in, tends to end up there.
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add War Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't buy it...yes its an error, but not an 'intereresting' one from my personal point of view...
Pillar of the Community
Australia
873 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it may be common. I was just sorting some 2011 50¢ bags (to select the best to keep) when I came across one of those with virtually identical pit.

Jeff
Valued Member
Australia
490 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steve - Oz 50c man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I have found similar looking through a bag of 2005 remembrance 50c's
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2015 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2015 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05