Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Variety and Error Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1841 O Seated Dimes

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
HoosierDaddy
Pillar Of The Community
United States
970 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  02:02 am Show Profile Check HoosierDaddy's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Can someone post a shot of the 1841 Seated dime w/large O and a shot w/small O. I have 2 that are the same but would love to see a comparison.

I'm in a TRADING mood.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8698 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm assuming you have the more common closed bud reverse type. Here are the large and small mintmark sizes (Images from The Definitive Resource for Liberty Seated dime Variety Collectors by Gerry Fortin

Edited by Conder101
02/29/2012 10:51 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
970 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  10:17 pm  Show Profile Check HoosierDaddy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add HoosierDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks.......that worked out great!
I'm in a TRADING mood.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
884 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  1:11 pm  Show Profile Check murty's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add murty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How can one distinguish closed bud versus open bud...
Thank You
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8698 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One the closed buds the buds are longer and oval, on the open buds they are round and the ends are split open. Also look at the leaf cluster by the U. If the outermost leaf is leaf 1 the on the Closed bud the point of leaf 2 is left of center of the U. On the open bud the point of leaf 2 is below the right edge of the U. (This is if viewed with the you in the upright position. And I erred badly in my first post. The CLOSED bud varieties are the rare ones. I called them the common variety in my first post. Both of the two pictured are closed bud. This is an open bud:

And to add extra confusion, there is also a medium O. So you have small, medium, and large. This is a medium O open bud.

Edited by Conder101
03/05/2012 12:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
884 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  12:35 pm  Show Profile Check murty's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add murty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RJP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Conder101
Interesting peice
Thanks, send me a PM
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05