Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

8tf Morgan has coin been dipped...cleaned?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  1:00 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add allcoinsnewbie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi all,

I have a person questioning my listing..(eBay 170792491241)

says coin looks cleaned or dipped. I listed as PL and

cartwheels, which in hand, it is. Need your opinion and suggestions.

Thanks so much.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1245 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  1:12 pm  Show Profile Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it can't be PL if it has cartwheels according to PCGS, NGC and ANACS. Semi PL Yes...It looks like it could of been dipped in coin bright, but many slabbed coins have been. Luster is a key factor as to if it would grade after someone has dipped a coin. Broken luster is a killer!
Never argue with an idiot..They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with Experience
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4948 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  02:00 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photos above make the coin appear dipped, the photos lack luster, and TwoHawks is right on you can't have cartwheel effect if the coin is PL or DMPL. Just my 2¢ worth.

I'd offer the potential buyer a full refund if he is not satisfied after the coin is shipped to him. Explain you are not a photographer, you may want to try shooting the coin outside in natural light, many compact digital cameras work much better if the lighting is sunlight, looks like the white balance on your camera is confused, and you may be shooting in an area of mixed lighting, incandescent, fluorescent LED, Halogen, colors appear strange when a camera tries to come up with a good neutral tone in mixed lighting.

Coming from a pro photographer of a couple of decades, lighting balance is one of the hardest things to deal with, especially in the days of film. If your camera offers you a way to shoot in RAW format, try that, many image programs will let you adjust the white balance afterwards in software that way, I know my Canon does and Nikon as well.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any evidence of dipping (may have but if it has luster it would be almost impossible to tell) as I have seen coins look like this in pictures myself and be just fine when in hand, I also agree I do not see any PL indications from the image as well and if it cartwheels it cant have a mirrored field
Pillar of the Community
United States
2632 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  09:46 am  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see what appears to be a normal MS63 specimen. You just have a bit of color saturation in the photos. I would drop the comments about "PL". Here's the test: Use this gauge to determine the degree of prooflikeness on any Morgan silver dollar. Lay the coin by its edge on the red line, at a 90 degree angle (i.e, perpendicular) to the page. Place the page approximately 18 inches beneath a 60 watt incandescent lamp. Look at the coin from a 45 degree angle, approximately 12 inches away. The highest prooflike grade that a person with normal eyesight can clearly read within the coin's surface is the prooflike grade which applies to that coin.

BTW this is the Morgan/Peace VAM section ... is that a VAM 3? I see a A1C reverse but the obverse is too small to attribute.
So many coins, so little time ...
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsnewbie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow..so much good and helpful advice. Thank you so much.

I love being part such a fine group, even if I don't know jack yet about coins.
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add allcoinsnewbie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I printed the PL test and found my coin may be "sort of" satin-like. That explains everything.

Since it does have cartwheels, all of you are right..its NOT PL.

What a great lesson for this novice. Thank you again.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1245 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  2:58 pm  Show Profile Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, when I first got here I though all coins where round And they aren't you have pentagons, octagons Even coins where a Hole is put in it by the mint that produced it!

Every Day You Learn Something It's a Great Day!
Never argue with an idiot..They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with Experience
Pillar of the Community
United States
863 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silvercoinrn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why would you dip a coin?

Questions from a new collector:p
Pillar of the Community
United States
1245 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  5:12 pm  Show Profile Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the time it's because someone thinks it will look better and sell for more. It really hurts the coins value most of the time. Just a little too long and the luster gets broken can Body Bag the coin forever.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05