Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

SBA wide rims

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1056 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  2:07 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add HONDO to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

went by the bank and one of the tellers who knows I collect, asked I I wanted $450 in mixed cwr dollar coins.

I said why not.

Just went through them and separated the goldens from the sba's. sorted through the Susie b's, and found 3 wide rims!

Pretty neat. I've never gone through that many Susie b's before. I think they are underrated. She's pretty ugly, but the reverse is really beautiful.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1056 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HONDO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot to mention that it was 250 worth. That's alot...
She also gave me a bank wrapped roll of Lincoln dollars. I'm gonna hang onto that one.
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ibab to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find

Bigger score if sba than I have found
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11370 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post photos so other collectors can see the wide rim variety?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar of the Community
United States
1056 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HONDO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, no problem. Will post some photos tomorrow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3163 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  9:55 pm  Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I am not Hondo, I have a pic just for this thread. I put it together for another thread a while ago...

The wide rim variety is on bottom.
"Our lives are summed up by two dates separated by a dash mark. Make the most of that dash." Battalion Chief John "Mac Daddy" McDonald. R.I.P.

It is could've, would've or should've, not could of, would of or should of.
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  11:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add joshkellogg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My girlfriend also found one of those! I'll get some pics up tomorrow. Nice find!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1056 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HONDO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks smokeriderdon. Those are cool pictures.
I will get some put together this afternoon, but these really show everything you need to see.
Pillar of the Community
United States
935 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stud722 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the best areas to notice the wide rim near the date? I have hundreds of SBA's from my father. I am not exactly sure how to find a wide rim (other than the title saying wide rim).
264 Countries and Counting!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1056 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HONDO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best place to spot the wide rim is directly below 19 on the obverse. Most 1979's have the narrow rim with a larger gap between the rim and date. The widerim variety 1979 looks like the 80, 81 and 99, with the rim virtually touching the date.

Hope that is clear.

If you have hundreds of sba dollars, pick out a few later date coins and go through your 79's. When you come cross a widerim, it should stand out pretty clearly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
935 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stud722 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Hondo. Great description. I will be sure to go through some
264 Countries and Counting!
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JimHSoars to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Howdy:

I just did, yes did, a wide rim miss. I had won a 1979 mint set on a local shops bid board. It came with one mint pack for Philadelphia and, for some odd reason, a 1968 mint set for Denver. I looked at it and wanted to ask the dealer who had the bid board about getting the correct Denver coins and about the near date variety so see if I had one.

I began by asking if the person who had posted the mismatched "mint set" had stopped in to try and trade for the '68 coins for the '79 D coins. No such luck. The dealer offered to trade me for a complete '79 set. I was too happy about this and just did it. The first one had a wide rim variety in it.... :-( I realized this later at home when I was looking up the SBA dollars in the 2012 Red Book. I guess that's why the old adage, "Buy the book then the coin." I need to remember the book's information too!

Perhaps I should feel some animosity toward the dealer, but I don't. Just after I traded the '79 set, which he looked at, he sold me a 1973 mint set with a great '73 D Ike dollar. A coin good enough to send in for grading. He even pointed it out to me.

I'm specializing in Eisenhower dollars to start out my coin collecting. I understand that early Ike P & D business strikes are pretty poor. For example, the P Ike in the same 1973 mint set looks like someone dropped it on the floor, drug it around on the concrete under their foot then put it in a can half full of nails and shook! ;-)

- Jim
Learn More...
United States
21928 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...he sold me a 1973 mint set with a great '73 D Ike dollar.
I'm specializing in Eisenhower dollars to start out my coin collecting.
Very nice!

I bought a 1973 mint set for the Eisenhower dollars. While the Denver dollar looks like it came from a mint set, my Philadelphia dollar looks like it could have been circulation find (nicks, scratches, and weak luster).
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
972 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2012  6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add joeturbo26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all... I was having difficultly looking for the difference between the wide rim and the thin rim, I just went through about 100 1979-P's my father gave me, and I think I finally found one LOL... am I right, or could it be just some machine doubling? Here is a pic, see if you can guess the one I think it is, and if I am even right... My eyes need a break!

Pillar of the Community
United States
972 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2012  7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add joeturbo26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a better picture, wow I am impressed with my scanner.. who knew! lol What do you coinsters think?

Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2012  9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the hands of a novice, a good (cheap) scanner is better than a camera every day.

The coin on the right looks like a wide rim from here.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05