Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Third Party Coin Grading (TPG)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

question on PCGS online price quide

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
gary1218
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  08:03 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gary1218 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I can't seem to find an explanation for this any where on the PCGS web site. For each coin in their price guide PCGS lists 2 lines, an MS line and a "+" line. I'm assuming the MS line is the price for the coin in that MS grade. What is that "+" line?

Also, are these dealer buy prices or dealer sell prices?

Thanks.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
935 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the Mint State grades, PCGS has instituted a + grade meaning that the coin is at the top end of that grade. For instance, if a coin is MS64 + that means it's better than an average MS64 but not quite to the MS65 level.

As for the prices, they've always seemed high to me, so if anything they would be sell prices, but a PCGS dealer isn't obligated to sell at that price. They are supposed to be "market prices" but for the most part you'd be hard pressed to be able to sell for the listed price.

Others may have more input for you.

Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
3927 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with that reply. Although I personally believe that the value of the + intermediate grade is somewhat silly given the subjective nature of grading to begin with ....

Quote:
Also, are these dealer buy prices or dealer sell prices?

They are neither of those ... keep in mind that the PCGS price guide is just one of many 'guides' out there and by no means the definitive answer to the market value of a coin.

Other 'guides' could include the Red Book, Numismedia FMV, CDN (greysheet) and past auction prices. None of these 'guides' will match each other ... but an examination of multiple sources should enable the buyer or seller to establish a reasonable starting point for fair negotiations.

That said ... all bets are off when considering a truly quality coin with high demand/appeal ... in these cases the ultimate selling price might be many multiples (5x to 10x) of the 'guide' price ... as a specific example ...

Check out this 1918 Illinois (Lincoln) half dollar that is currently available in a Heritage auction ... note that the Numismedia FMV 'guide' for this coin in MS66 is $830 ... check out the current bid.

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...8&lotNo=3816

Bottom line ... all guides are just that ... guides. True value is based on whatever someone is willing to pay.

David

Edited for spllegning
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
03/04/2012 09:40 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8241 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Although I personally believe that the value of the + intermediate grade is somewhat silly given the subjective nature of grading to begin with ....

I agree, but I also feel that eleven MS grades is somewhat silly for the same reason.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1282 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  11:22 pm  Show Profile Check cc99999's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the eleven grades are fine- so long as the grading companies get it right. There is a huge difference in appeal between an MS-65 and an MS-67 or MS-68 coin. It's visible, real, and obvious. I think the problem most people have is that the bands get narrower and narrower for certain coins when big money is involved.

For instance an MS-67 or MS-68 sacagawea is easy to "make" - but unless you are an insider you'll never "make" such high grades submitting raw coins if the top pop grades are high dollar.
Follow the Ike Group on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/T...794568128572
Valued Member
United States
406 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BuffalosRock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those claim to be "fair market value" based on their recent sale prices, but in reality they are RETAIL prices that dealers WISH they could sell them for - mostly.

As said, the "+" is a gimmick PCGS came up with to add more MS grades than just 60-70 ( for which most older coins can't be found in 68-70 anyway so it was a way to produce "halves" in between - in essence ). Kinda farcical but it works for them!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05