Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1891CC for your coments

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
817 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  05:11 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Las_Vegas_Larry to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

1891CC my guess would be MS60/61.

It shows very good luster.

There is a lot of machine doubling.

There are only 6 VAMs and this one doesn't appear to match them.

Here are 3 different lighting effects of the mint mark.

This one shows the doubling, not good, but the best.

The C on the left is slightly larger with some die polish scratches on the lower section inside the C.

The doubling is on the top of the left C and on the left edge of the right C. I think it's all machine doubling.

These shows part of the doubling on the reverse.

There is some doubling on the obverse but I was unable to capture it with my camera.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  10:14 pm  Show Profile Check Jaobler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have any comments regarding variety but gradewise the luster is subdued (compared to most MS Carson City Morgans) so I would have to call it AU, probably AU-58. The bits of dark material hiding in the date and IGWT suggest the coin might have been gently cleaned, with the cleaning not being successful at removing all the dirt.

The flat, shelf-like appearance of the "doubled" edges look like MD to me, also.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RJP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It Has that look of being cleaned, the luster is just off.

Edited by RJP
03/06/2012 01:59 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
817 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Las_Vegas_Larry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your replies.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1374 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LV Larry, I don't like being the bearer of bad news but I think your coin is a fake and I am concerned that you purchased the coin for real money expecting a real CC dollar. If you compare the design elements of your coin with a real 1891 CC you will find several features that go beyond VAM designations and lead me to the conclusion "counterfeit". Most readily apparent are the differences in the top of the headdress portion of the obverse. Compare your coin to the example below, an MS64 image supplied by Heritage

Additional problem areas are the "block like" letters and the design elements of the nose (especially the nostril) and the ear.
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Pillar of the Community
United States
1248 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  02:23 am  Show Profile Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is going to hurt! From the photo's and this is not 100% but real close to 99%! That the reverse of your coin belongs to an 1884 CC Vam-10 I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the reed count is off. I would love to see this one in hand!

The Vam-3 in the 1891 cc looks close as well, but the obverse looks to be doubled on your coin, and that should not be.

Private message me if you find time Larry!
Russ
Never argue with an idiot..They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with Experience
Edited by twohawks
03/11/2012 02:33 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
817 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Las_Vegas_Larry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Russ I will contact you Monday or Tuesday.

Jfransch I think it is all right here are a couple of more shots with different light.

Pillar of the Community
United States
817 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Las_Vegas_Larry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Russ here are some of the reverse shots that might give a clearer pic.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1334 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1893S to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think your grade 60/61 is about right although I've seen MS62 specimens with more bags. The luster and strike are good!
Learn More...
United States
16714 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:56 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see a lot of problems with this one. LVLarry, have a look at Heritage results for this coin, particularly two of the three PCGS coins which sold today. Not the newest - that one's a Spitting Eagle - but the second and third, a 62 and a 63. Both are Near Date, like yours, and both appear to have similarities in the mint mark to yours. I think this is what VAMworld is calling VAM-5.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
817 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Las_Vegas_Larry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks 1893S

Thanks SuperDave
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05