Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin sound analysis software....

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1942 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  12:21 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi guys

Thanks to someone on an earlier post, reminded me of a program I use that can be used to analyse coin metal content. It is a Linux open source program that is now available for both Windows and Mac users...The program is called AUDACITY...The link for the download is below.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

This program will analyse a coin with a known coin content to give you a metal content.
below is what you see when you start the program.

Below are the instructions to analyse a coin.

Below are the results of the analysis.

Below are the results of a 1953 and a 2007 nickel.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

The question is more important than the answer
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ContraJame to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's pretty interesting. You should've posted this in the main forum to get more exposure.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1942 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya...I blew that one didn't I ContraJame...Well, too late now, they don't appreciate double posts.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add War Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you take requests? Could you do a 1963 vs 2012 quarter please?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1942 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know what War Nickel if you are not kidding, I could drag out my 1963 quarter and analyse both...!

OR, download the program and get your own results...
Edited by wert
03/05/2012 12:59 pm
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add staircase to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there. I heard about this program a few months ago. It was being used to determine if the silver content in certain '67 issues was 50% or 80%. Apparently the test was quite accurate.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1942 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya staircase, it is only as accurate as the controlled environment will allow....If people start using this software, then the coin community will have to come up with a standard control environment ...So everyone has the same data.

example might be...

1 - coin dropped on edge only.
2 - coin dropped from a distance of one inch
3 - coin dropped on a standard surface
4 - etc., etc.
Learn More...
United States
21729 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I moved this to the Main Coin Forum.

I also removed the sign-post that was in the Main Coin Forum.

Cross Posting / Sign Posting
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12956 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you try dropping a 1916D Mercury dime so we can see how it sounds? I wonder if the higher you drop it from makes a difference.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1942 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi just carl...If I had one I would do it for you...BUT...I just posted this to make everyone aware that there are tools in the coin world to help us better understand and analyse coins.

This program is free to anyone to download and use....BUT (again), there has to be some sort of standard created as to solidify the results so everyone gets the same analysis with any coin.

It is useful in determining and recognizing fake coins (i.e.- a Canadian Toonie I came across)..It is also useful in recognizing different planchets, etc.

If anyone has any suggestions as to standardizing the test, please post here.
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VetStudent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Who'd a thunk it?!?! This probably has the old timer coin collectors scratching their heads.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12956 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If anyone has any suggestions as to standardizing the test, please post here.

1. All coins should be dropped from 10 feet.
2. All coins should be dropped on a piece of Stainless Steel
3. No coins should be dropped on concrete since it is not a snooth service
4. All coins should not be in a slab when dropped.
5. Only coins valued at over $10 should be tested.
6. All coins should be dropped 25 times to make sure of the results.

I wonder just how many people would actually drop valuable coins just to hear them ring.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
21729 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All coins should be dropped on a piece of Stainless Steel
What dimensions (especially thickness) and exact type type (you always say there are numerous types). Also, how is it to be supported? You know it matters! This is just the beginning.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
766 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coindog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used the program to see if I could find a difference in the 1982 Cents. Every reading is different of course but the high and low frequencies seem to be the identifiers. The zinc and copper cents do seem to have a different sound. Pretty cool little program.
ANA member #3169039
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1942 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coindog...You are correct about the program...To be able to use it across the board...

There must standards put in place...It would be a difficult undertaking and one I am capable of doing, but the response I received so far here indicates my time would be better off spent on others things...

So, I will let this post slide...Thanks guys.
Edited by wert
03/06/2012 4:43 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11129 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  5:15 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder just how many people would actually drop valuable coins just to hear them ring

You would be surprised, old-school Early American Copper(EAC) aficionados use a technique called the ring test to determine whether a coin is genuine or an electrotype/counterfeit. The coin is not actually dropped though, just gently tapped like a tuning fork. A few years ago at a show, I was browsing the chocolate goodies at the table of Tom Reynolds when I watched him perform a ring test on a purported Chain Cent for a customer who had doubts about authenticity. The coin was indeed genuine and worth ~$10,000, the owner was quite the happy camper with Tom's decision.
ANA R-3151318
Edited by biokemist6
03/06/2012 5:17 pm
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05