Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Large 1902 Medal possibly from the Netherlands needs ID

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
103 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  8:28 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add worldnumis to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This rather attractive 2 1/4 inch bronze or copper medal is about as struck with nice patina. I though it might be from the Netherlands, but I don't have a clue. Does anyone else?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a 1902 Dutch medal made for a certain Eucen Cucel, a teacher a the Polytechnic school in Delft, South Holland.

It was made by his students to celebrate his 70th birthday and given to him on the 26th of March 1902.
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add worldnumis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info Apollo. No one ever gave me a medal for my 70th. That teacher must have been very popular. I can't recall from where I obtained the medal, probably from an auction lot that contained 1 or 2 items I wanted, and this came along with the lot. I know I would not have been interest in this alone.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice medal, by the way. It's in really good shape.
Pillar of the Community
1190 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the characters, particularly the G's, are a little misleading. The name of that man is Eugen Gugel, and he was the first architecture professor in the Netherlands. http://www.nai.nl/content/40533 Judging from the "signature" on the side depicted in the upper image, the medal was designed by L. F. Edema van der Tuuk: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamber...van_der_Tuuk Both pages are in Dutch, but you could use Google Translate or a similar tool, or just use the names as starting points for further research. :)

Christian
Edited by chrisild
03/13/2012 8:50 pm
Netherlands
1 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2012  2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DirkJansen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have some more information on Lambertus Franciscus Edema van der Tuuk, who was a good friend of my grandparents in Rotterdam / Hillegersberg where they all lived. He made some of the medallions on the facade of Rotterdam town Hall, but also carved the relief panels on the pulpit of the (protestant) Begijnhofkerk in Amsterdam, the designs for which were made by a young Piet Mondriaan ! We own some works of him (a carved mirror frame, a coat of arms, two bronze portrait plaques of twin daughters of my grandparents who both died in their infancy).

Gugel was a quite important, though traditional architect.

Dirk
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2012  1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add worldnumis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dirk, for that interesting information.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1113 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2012  3:55 pm  Show Profile Check Pertinax's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See also http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...=0CCoQ7gEwAQ
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05