Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Acetone question

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  8:33 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

So I previously bought some acetone from target, and I was told not to use it because it wasn't pure acetone. I was told that home depot had the acetone I would be looking for. Well I went to home depot and got some acetone, I tried to read the ingredients but can't find it anywhere on the label. Does this mean it is pure acetone and okay for use? Here is the one I bought:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/...n-54679.html

Thanks in advance for the help!

Oldest Coins Found in Circulation:
Cent: 1907 Indian (roll)
Nickel: 1916 Buffalo (roll)
Dime: 1926 Mercury (roll)
Quarter: 1941 Washington (bank tray)
Half: 1946 Walking Liberty (bank tray)
Dollar: 1971 Ike (bank tray)
Pillar of the Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not sure but I brought mine from repco ( car parts supplier) all it has written for ingredients is acetone 791g/l, I just figured if it was for painting cars with ( section it was in ) it had to be pure, that and the fact it mentions no other ingredient or chemical, its or mine is yellowish in colour
Valued Member
Canada
407 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add west- canuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought some at a big chain hardware store, but it's crystal clear , not yellow(?).
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know about that yellow... Pure acetone is clear from what I have gathered.
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ContraJame to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@murrellington: If you look at http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pd...ik|100141096 it states that the acetone concentration is 100%. I'm no chemist but I'm guess that means you purchased the correct thing. Hopefully someone with some experience will chime in with confirmation.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Contra-Jame. I think I got the right stuff. I would assume they would list other ingredients if there were any...
Pillar of the Community
United States
500 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CPC24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Klean-Strip is what Home Depot and Lowe's sell. I use it for my coins. It's clear, and never leaves any residue or film, unless the coin is really dirty. It's great for removing glue or nail polish, too.
Edited by CPC24
03/05/2012 11:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2579 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  11:29 pm  Show Profile Check Earle42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you follow the link to the MSDS and read it you will find you have 100% acetone - this is the stuff
Visualize Whirled Peas
- Doctors with patience will lose money letting loose their patients.
- They're over there with their car.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys for the help! Glad I got the right stuff this time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2648 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lets hope it's the right stuff, I've been using the same thing. No problems, I rinse with it also, then distilled H20.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12692 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A simple test is all you need. Take any clean, clear glass dish. Make sure it is clean. Pour a bit of the Acetone on the dish and allow it to evaporate. If there is nothing left, it was OK. If there is any kind of residue left on the plate, it is contaminated.
And for those that have a can laying around for a long time, you should periodically do that test. The reason is that every time you open that can, you allow outside air to get in. As you use some, there is now more room in the can for the outside air. Pending on where you live, the invironment of your home, the amount of air polutions can vary excessively creating a slightly contaminated Acetone.
Also, regardless of what is on the can, remember that the shelf life of that product may be a possible problem. If not a big seller, such a can may have been there for years. No canning process is foolproof and the inside of that can could be slowly disolving into the Acetone.
Nothing to loose by continuously doing the test as noted above.
And as usual, remember that stuff is flamable.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info just carl.
Learn More...
United States
21309 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you follow the link to the MSDS and read it you will find you have 100% acetone - this is the stuff
This is where I was going before I realized someone else may have already mentioned it.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Learn More...
United States
16730 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  3:07 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A) I am the Receiving Manager of a Home Depot.

B) There's no doubt in my mind that the acetone we sell is pure - its' intended use with paint requires 100% concentration. Obviously, it's what I use.

Edit: To address one of Carl's points - in my store, we can get about 50 quarts of acetone on the shelf at once. We bring about a pallet per month of it into the building, probably 100 cans a month. That's pretty fresh product.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12692 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Edit: To address one of Carl's points - in my store, we can get about 50 quarts of acetone on the shelf at once. We bring about a pallet per month of it into the building, probably 100 cans a month. That's pretty fresh product.

Pretty busy store. Glad to hear that the turnover is sufficient enough to keep such products fresh. Not sure if you are in charge of that department or have anything to do with it but one problem I've found in many stores everywhere is the help doesn't rotate the merchandise properly. Hopefully at your place they do but lots of reports of places with outdated products due to no product rotation. With something like Acetone though, a few weeks, months or even a year shouldn't be a problem if old.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just poured some more into my soak jar, it is a clear colour, its the glass jar im using gives it the yellowish tinge I just spotted
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05