Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Collecting or Investing? David Hall vs John Ford 1989

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
6758 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  09:39 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Learn More...
United States
21618 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is interesting to see this debated by two very real people, not by just reading the debate online.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9058 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hall mis-characterized Ford's comments on grading. Ford never said that other fields didn't value better grade items higher than lower ones. He was commenting on the fixation on grade that was taking place to the point where grade was becoming the be all and end all. To the point where common high grade "Stuff" (as he would call it) was more highly desired and eagerly pursued than truly rare or historically interesting and important pieces. Hall's example of the babe Ruth ball didn't really help his case either. Naturally a better condition one is going to be worth more But with that baseball the price difference between the bottom end low grade and the top end cream of the crop was only a factor of FOUR. (This was before CU got into the sports memorabilia authenticating and grading field. I'm sure today thanks to them that price factor is a lot greater.)

I find it interesting that at least twice Hall mentioned that price is a factor in grading. To me this means that if you have two similar condition coins, one common, one rare, the rare one should be given a higher grade because its price is higher. (And this actually happens. We are all familiar with the concept of the key date grading bump.) And if the price of a coin goes up, it's grade should go up as well.

What I found amusing were Hall's comment about how the market was not going up like a rocket and that it was doing the same thing it was doing in 1946 or 1906 it is going a little bit and down a little bit, that it is going to keep doing that and there isn't going to be any crash because the market is healthy. Now I know I have the luxury of hindsight but I find his comment rather incredible and shall we say a little lacking in credibility. Now he was the owner and president of David Hall Rare Coins, a major firm so you would expect he would know how the market was behaving. I'm sure most of you have seen this graph.

Do you know when this debate took place? Do you see that point on the graph when it just goes over 180,000? That's it. That was when he said the market had NOT been going straight up like a rocket and that there was no crash ahead.

One other comment he made was that the market was real and the investors were paying cash on the barrel-head and that there was a lot of money there. How does that compare to Ford's comment that the investors were a quick easy way to a buck?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05