Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1907-O Barber Quarter Star Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  3:28 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add American Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Is this a star error on the reverse? Anyone have more information about this error?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a Die Chip or a CUD most likely.

Hard to see with low res photos, so I could be wrong.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2794 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A die chip/cud in the shape of a star?
This is worth investigating.
I just wanted to "get in" in order to follow this topic.
To subscribe just simply floods my in box.
You have my attention, "American Eagle."
I have never met a Barber Coin which I didn't like. Visit us at the Barber Coin Collectors' Society
http://www.barbercoins.org/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2794 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  4:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link:

http://blog.davidlawrence.com/index...ysis-1907-o/

This was a BAD year, and your example may just be one of many.

But still worth investigating.
I have never met a Barber Coin which I didn't like. Visit us at the Barber Coin Collectors' Society
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add American Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link, I will check it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A die chip/cud in the shape of a star?

No, but in addition TO the star. :D
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add American Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
matthewvincent

Looked through the link but could not find anything conclusive about the star. I found nothing that even comes close to describing why this happened or if it is an error or anything that comes close. I have nicknamed it the shooting star, ha ha.

I welcome more information about the shooting star.
Thanks
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  05:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add American Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Online I found a Barber Coin Collectors' Society (BCCS) http://www.barbercoins.org. I have looked at pictures of Barber quarters on their site and I noticed that on my quarter not only is the star shooting to the "T" in States but the fold in the ribbon is pushed towarded the "D" in United.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2794 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
American Eagle,

Send your photos to:

Steve Hustad
shustad@comcast.net

He is the Variety Coordinator of the
Journal of the Barber Coin Collectors' Society.
Tell him that I told you to do so, and where and how I came to give his address to you.
Give him all of the information that you can.

We are in middle of a census survey among our members concerning the many different die varieties of the quarter series.
Your question is timely. It is either a "nothing" or a "something" and, as a Barber person I am quite interested in learning myself.

Let us know what he has to say. Good Luck!

Matthew Student
Contributing Editor BCCS

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add American Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the contact information. I e-mail my information and pictures to Steve yesterday evening.

This morning I searched eBay list of 1907-O Barber quarters and found two-(2) that had the same star filled on the left from tip of star to tip of star. Found nothing that resembles my shooting star.

I noticed that for some of the grades listed (not third party) they want a lot for these coins and then shipping on top of high price. Must be something special about their coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2794 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just found one of the examples.
This eliminates post-mintage damage and narrows down the reason to either die damage or perhaps a die re-cut. The first is more likely.
I am happy to help you because you are approaching the problem as a true researcher.
Would you consider sending me a copy of your contact with Steve Hustad? I ask because I did not obtain permission to give you his address before doing so.

studentmatthewv@msn.com

It is I who would get into trouble and not you.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4942 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  9:49 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like a die that cracked then a piece broke off around the star, leaving a raised area where the die filled - a CUD. A very cool position for one though.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add American Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If in fact this is a die break/damage. Here is my thought's; the extra shape on the ribbon fold is a die break/damage and may have came first. I think the mystery is the "Shooting Star" keeping it star shape while enlarging on its journey to the "T". I am no coin or coin die expert but could the die break on impact pushing the broken piece outward maintaining but stretching the shape of the star? If this is possible; then did this coin getting struck on the next strike after the break/damage or is this the coin the die broke on?

Comments and debates on this 1907-O Barber quarter "Shooting Star".
Pillar of the Community
United States
2264 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
westcoin:
Not a cud.
A cud must involve the rim.
TreasHunt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4942 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  5:06 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not a cud. A cud must involve the rim.

In a truly technical sense yes you are correct, but I still call things like this cuds, even away from the rim as do many others. I suppose a more correct term would be a die crack/missing die detail?

http://coins.about.com/od/coinsglos..._defined.htm

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05