Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Soviet 5 Roubles 1958

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
33 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  4:53 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jamesmblair to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I attach scans of the obverse and reverse of a 1958 USSR 5 Roubles. I have had this coin for about 25 years but can find nothing about its history or background, apart from the fact it is a pattern or trial striking.

Can anyone please provide any background information? Was there any particular reason why they produced a pattern for this value in that year? Was an issue being contemplated for some specific purpose such as use in coin-operated machines, or as a more convenient means of paying airport taxes or the special tax that rail passengers crossing the Soviet border?

Also, are these patterns rare or relatively common?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a coin never intended for circulation. The majority of them was melted. This coin is quite rare and could be worth anything from 300 to 3000 pounds.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2222 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  12:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'll be a mad man to sell it for a mere 300 - 3000 pounds. I would snap it at that price. It should be at least 6000 USD to more than 10000 USD if genuine. Definitely rare and they are just impossible to obtain other than at auction houses.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
United Kingdom
33 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jamesmblair to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the most helpful information. Were I minded to sell this piece, can anyone suggest the best place to do so? eBay? Auction House (which one is best for this piece)? Can you sell via this forum even?
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that's a extremely rare coin IF IT REAL. however, it is a FAKE coin from my perspective. could you weight it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  02:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's easy to march through a bunch of threads and through simple opinions around, "FAKE", "REAL", "100% sure". Are there any facts / arguments behind this? Could you, please, share your "perspective"?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

On the Austria 1897 2 heller, he just repeated what me and Amida17 said, a bit annoying
United Kingdom
33 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jamesmblair to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight is approximately 15 grams (using kitchen scales). It came from a very knowledgable and reputable dealer in London in the 1980's. How would I be able to find out for certain whether or not it is genuine? Presumably if it is a fake or restrike it is pretty much worthless.
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vb3347 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any reason to believe that it is a fake. As Apollo said, it was never released into circulation, with the vast majority of the 5.1 million minted remelted. As for value, I think somewhere between $500-$1000 is fair. It is not THAT rare for it to be worth thousands.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not believe this is a fake (meaning forged by a third party) as all the details look pretty much perfect. Restrike, on the other hand, is a possibility. After all Russia is known for its "novodels". I don't know, though, about any documentation on this matter.
United Kingdom
33 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jamesmblair to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much, gentlemen. As 5.1 million were struck I am going to research whether there was any particular reason why so many were minted, then a decision made not to release them into circulation. I will post any information I find.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2222 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think a lot of you are underestimating how rare the coin is. Please tell me when the last time you saw one on auction. While the smaller denomination 1 kopek to 1 ruble were accidentally released for circulation in extremely low numbers, 2, 3 and 5 ruble coins were never meant to.

If you see one for sale for 500-1000 dollars, please let me know. Anyone can turn that into profit straight away, guaranteed.

1958 'trial' coins were still common 10-20 years ago but dried up since then. They are no longer common even with auction houses. I am not aware of novodel coins struck for this particular series, however, there are copies known but usually crude. So far the pictures look ok but can't 100% guarantee that it's genuine.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05