Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

PCGS old slab vs new slab

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
119 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  5:14 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JamieSpat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi guys/gals. I was just searching through teletrade and noticed a coin I'm looking for but it says it's in a PCGS old slab. 1. What does that mean exactly? and 2. Does that affect the price?

Seems crazy to me but thought I would ask. Thanks in Advance.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3625 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  6:17 pm  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The oldest PCGS slabs are also called "rattler" slabs with what looks like typewriter printing. They then had the green slabs with better printing and sometimes called OGH, (old green holder). Next you have the blue slab and now you have the blue slab that also will show edges.
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the first generation PCGS has a green label and the holder is small and the coin rattles around in the slab, these are called rattlers. The next generation holders also had a green label but was the same sized holders they use today. about 10 or 15 years ago everyone would be hunting fore these older slabs because their grading standards has become more lax since then and they thought they would get an upgrade. Now most of the coins that would have upgraded have already been sent in for an upgrade and this is no longer the case. You do get a few people that still look for these old green labeled holders and they sometimes pay a premium for them but chances of any of them being upgraded are very slim as their grading standards have changed a few times throughout the years and the ones that were really undergraded have been sent in already
Valued Member
Australia
119 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JamieSpat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As usual fast and helpful information. thanks!
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  03:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RJP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also can mean anything that is not a current slab, Rattler 1986-1989 then the OGH's
www.sampleslabs.com has some good info on the type of holder for some of the populer TPG holders.
Bob
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
613 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2013  12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to revive an old thread, but is there any way of telling how old (ie when it was slabbed) a slab is from the label?

I only have the one coin and though it's not in it's slab any more I have the label, which I believe is not that old, but not one of the newest either. I know it had to be before Feb 2006, as that's when it was in a auction and it had already been graded then. The PCGS Certification Database doesn't indicate when it was submitted for grading and I was curious.

Any ideas anyone? Here's the label (as close to true colour as I can get it on my laptop):

Pillar of the Community
United States
608 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2013  3:43 pm  Show Profile Check brenpickle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brenpickle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have wondered that also.
Oldest Roll Finds:
Cents 1902
Nickle 1917
Dime 1941
Quarter 1964
Half 1960
Learn More...
United States
17310 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2013  3:57 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If there is a system to how PCGS chooses & assigns slab serial numbers, they aren't talking about it. They will, of course, have a record of when any individual serial was assigned but it isn't publicly available. There will be some correlation due to the sheer age of the slab, but that will be easier to see just from the appearance of the slab rather than the serial assigned to it.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
613 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2013  7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If there is a system to how PCGS chooses & assigns slab serial numbers, they aren't talking about it. They will, of course, have a record of when any individual serial was assigned but it isn't publicly available. There will be some correlation due to the sheer age of the slab, but that will be easier to see just from the appearance of the slab rather than the serial assigned to it.

Oh, well never mind. Thanks SD.

(Of course, the really interesting thing to me would be to know where the coin was for the 100 years or so before it was slabbed!)
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2013  11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fusiafinch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grading on the old slabs was a bit tougher than the new ones, so I've been able to send in old green labels and have it come back reslabbed in the new holder at a higher grade. Sometimes I get the higher grade and sometimes not. You'll have to inspect the coin and make the call yourself.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6093 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2013  11:48 am  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to think that you could tell by the serial number on when/about a coin was encased in the slab, lower numbers would equal older/earlier slabs, but with resubmittals the old serial number would be used in the new slab.

When I send in a couple of my Morgans for Variety attribution in the near future, the old serial numbers would be reused on the new slabs.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Pillar of the Community
United States
9160 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2013  12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can tell that coin was slabbed after Feb 2002 but to narrow it down further I would also have to see the hologram that was used on the slab which isn't available anymore.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
613 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2013  5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can tell that coin was slabbed after Feb 2002 but to narrow it down further I would also have to see the hologram that was used on the slab which isn't available anymore.

Thanks Conder. I bought the coin from a dealer in England. It had already been 'liberated' from its slab, so yeah, the hologram is lost. Nice coin though. And it fits better in my coin cabinet raw!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05