Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I don't recall seeing very many off-center mercury dimes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

822 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  5:36 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add scubu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Stumbled on this today...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200723285608/

Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool! At first I thought the obverse had rolling machine damage, but that must be from the collar (the reverse die was the hammer on Mercury dimes).
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I agree you don't see many of these that's why I was the first bidder on this puppy
Pillar of the Community
United States
2249 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  08:16 am  Show Profile Check robbudo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i found one that was 5% off center and sold it for $100. can't imagine what this is going to sell for!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8834 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For some reason major errors on mercury's, buffalo's, and standing liberty's tend to be much scarcer than other series. Why this is true I do not know.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4992 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  9:47 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fred Weinberg usually has a few in inventory http://www.fredweinberg.com/ he sells them for around $500.00-850.00 on average.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JoeyZ76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats a very nice Mercury!
Heres a few that I have

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4992 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  6:36 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just saw my friend Fran Leone has a really nice double stuck Mercury for sale at a fair price, I'm not after one but if you are here you go:
http://1793.com/inventory_errors.htm
Tell him I sent you, (not that I get anything other than a thanks from him), Frank is an honest and great coin dealer!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Edited by westcoin
03/28/2012 04:40 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8710 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect World coins.
Come to think of it, you don't see grossly off centre coins in good quality silver from ANY country.

Such errors are far more common in base metals, and the availability of these is much greater from Great Britain and the U.S. Probably due to the huge numbers minted.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12670 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For some reason major errors on mercury's, buffalo's, and standing liberty's tend to be much scarcer than other series. Why this is true I do not know.

That is sort of odd, isn't it. I've got well over 3,000 Mercury dimes and the main thing I've found in the way of errors is that about 25% have rotated reverses. Anywhere from a few degrees to about 90. None are off centered at all. Seldom any RPM's, double died or some of the more common type of errors. Lots of large and small mint marks are popping up lately though. Sort of the same thing with Buffalo nickels too.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4992 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  04:40 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow JoeyZ76 that broadstruck one sure is a beauty! Thanks for sharing the photo!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05