Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1916 D Mercury Dimes Are these 2 dimes REAL?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  6:39 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Wil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Okay, I bought these two 1916 D Mercury dimes on eBay. Now I am wondering if they are genuine.
Please tell me your opinion!
Thank you very much!

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By real, I mean genuine. Not fake 1916 D's.
Pillar of the Community
United States
745 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penny4Me to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, 1916 D Mercury dimes....I REALLY think Coin #1 has a FAKE D = NOT genuine.
I am no expert, but I never seen a D on 1916 like shown above.
You should return Coin #1 and contact eBay/PAYPAL for $ back.
I would never spend more than $200 for a coin unless it was graded by NGC/PCGS/ANACS to prove it is genuine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1490 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JimR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wil,

Buying uncertified 1916 "D" Mercury dimes is a dangerous thing to engage in. For the $895.00 that you have spent on these two coins you could get a certified G-4 1916-D Merc Dime.

Having said that your dimes may be legit. The bottom of the D ion coin 1 is bent and is a concern. I cannot see the bottom of the D in coin 2.

Attached is a photo of a certified 1916-D with mint mark that I used to own. You can use this photo to compare yours too. Others may be along later with more expertise than I and weigh in.

Bottom line though unless you are an expert in this coin, and you may be, I would strongly suggest buying only certified specimens as this is a highly counterfeited coin.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They don't jump out at me as problematic, but I strongly recommend getting these authenticated. It's rare enough to make very sophisticated fakes worth making.

Here is a reference for the four mintmark positions.

I would like to see larger, closer images of the mintmarks. The most common fakes are genuine 1916 dimes with mintmarks added. The position first one, though it's hard to be sure, looks like a match for die #3 (an RPM), and seems to have notching on the top serif, which would also be correct. Edit: Ignore my comments about the mintmark and just try to avoid this coin raw as others have suggested.

The biggest fear I'd have of buying this coin raw, is that there's no logical reason for selling it raw. It's such a common counterfeit, that people will always suspect fakes. If it's genuine, why not pay a relatively small fee to have it authenticated and slabbed, and sell it much more easily and for more money?
Edited by CaptainFwiffo
03/07/2012 09:56 am
Valued Member
United States
97 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sralloway to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't like number 1. I'm not an expert but compared to the 16 D my grandfather and I have had for 80 years, It doesn't look right. Just an amateur opinion.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2608 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  02:04 am  Show Profile Check macmercury's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add macmercury to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Number 1 looks like tooled from an S mm to look like a D, sign of the tail of the S from a worn dime.

Number 2? Can't tell from the pictures, not clear enough.

Regardless buying raw 16-D dime on the bay is risky business, unless it is from a trusted dealer that would guaranteed refund of money if prove to be fake in the future. The prices paid is close enough or above a regular genuine AG3 16-D coin, return all if possible.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5194 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  02:34 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Number 1 looks like tooled from an S mm to look like a D, sign of the tail of the S from a worn dime.

Number 2? Can't tell from the pictures, not clear enough.

There are said to be more counterfeit 1916-D in existence than real ones, kind of like Woodstock attendees!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3179 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Send them in and let us know.
I believe #2 has a better chance, both may be good.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everybody. Great answers. I appreciate them.
Valued Member
344 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  02:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris beatie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol Westcoin is oldschool. Woodstock :P

Hehe I love it man :)
Learn More...
United States
14274 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  04:13 am  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that number 1 is very suspicious. The D at this level of preservation should resemble a crescent shaped "blob". The crescent being on the left hand side. That's why I think that number 2 may have a shot. They need to be sent in.
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
Dave - ANA LM1214396, C4, EAC
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On coin one id does appear as if the bottom of the "d" has a cuve to it unlike Jim R dime. #2 may be a good one (just an opinion)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05