Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

What coins do you think are great buys to save for 35 years

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
TheNickelGuy
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4246 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  11:15 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I would make this a poll but there would be far too many opinions.
I was reading posts about old coin catalogs and price guides over 40 years old and many people wish they knew that certain coins would have appreciated so much since then. So I am wondering....

If I had to pick three specific coins to buy at today's market price and hold onto for 35 years they would be ________________, ________________, and ________________.

You fill in the blanks.

I'll start it off by saying, my off the top of my head picks are:

1.1917 D Type 1 Standing Liberty quarter in MS 63 or better.
2.1857 Half Cent in MS 63 or better
3.1913 S Type 1 Buffalo nickel in MS64 or better

Edited by TheNickelGuy
03/07/2012 11:17 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1261 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add afcop13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll add in a couple coins I think are undervalued now:

- 1927D SLQ in MS 63 or better.
- 1932S Washington in MS 63 or better.
- 1926S Mercury dime in MS 64 or better.

Those 3 off the top of my head.......I'm sure there are TONS of others. As far as modern stuff, the mintages on the 2009 nickles and dimes suggest they could end up with some decent value in MS66 or better.

I think late 1790s to early 1800's coinage will also continue to increase in value in all grades. If I'm alive in 35 years, it'd be fun to see what stuff went up and why. I'll be 78 then.......
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3854 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very hard question to answer, but very interesting.
At first I thought about classic keys and semi keys.

And even gave modern coins like 1997 Jefferson matte proof
nickels or 1998 S silver matte proof Kennedy half dollar.
Or coins like your 1971 No "S" proof Jefferson.

I just think some of those coins are trading at good prices now, and coins that are under valued might be the ones that would show the most growth .. long term.

So if I had to pick three then I would go with

1. 1996 D Paralympic UNC (wheelchair), mintage 14,497
2. 1996 D Olympic UNC High Jump, mintage 15,697
3. 1996 D olympic UNC Rowing, mintage 15,258

If anyone is interested in seeing what they look like
I started posting yesterday, my complete uncirculated set in the commemorative section.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=113108
Edited by GR58
03/07/2012 12:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add War Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2009 Jefferson Nickels, only 34 million minted...10% of what is normally minted! Hello!
2009 Lincoln cents, all varieties. Wish I had rolls of these, or the set (going for about $200 right now).
War nickels in MS-65 and up.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4380 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  3:10 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For USA coinage - Any trouble free, type coin or key date in excellent condition, store them well, away from moisture, check on them every once in awhile too, copper has a habit of tiny specks growing into big spots, any original full red copper type coins, IHC and early Lincolns should increase a lot in value, as long as they stay that way. Most proof Type coins with no problems in PR64 or better, all gold coins should do well. Low mintage modern stuff in high grade should do well also.

But the same advice would've have been the same from me 35 years ago too.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Canada
4027 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Junk silver.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To buy?

Well, I would stay away from any coin which is promoted as
"Rare and sure to increase in value."
That means that there are already too many available, and that means that they will be bought by people willing to hold them for 35 years. The supply will therefore remain constant for 35 years. When people go to sell they will be disappointed.

Next, I would avoid any coins which may become victim to increasing bullion prices. Yesterday's rare gold coin is today's bullion piece.

Third, I would use the knowledge, "If a coin is difficult to find today, it will be next to impossible to find tomorrow."

That leads me to this quick-and-dirty list:

1) 1919-D Dime
2) 1919-D Quarter
3) 1919-D Half Dollar

A tough year for Denver and hard to find. Overlooked at present. Purely as an investment. In as high a grade as reasonably possible to find. As I am not interested in these coins I do not mind sharing this with you all.
I will not tell you what I am buying or want to buy. I do not need any more competition.

Now what I am holding:
1) 1913-S Type II Buffalo VG-10
2) 1921 Half VG 8
3) 1921-D Half F 12

Any one or all three can easily be sold today as well as 35 years from now.

Although at 95, I'll send my nurse aid to make the transaction!

I have never met a Barber Coin which I didn't like. Visit us at the Barber Coin Collectors' Society
http://www.barbercoins.org/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4246 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate these posts, I am going to look into the 1919 D coins. Wouldn't it be great if in 35 years the internet and these post survived. Lets hope that CCF is still around then and longer.
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hermanwilliams to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love these kinds of topics.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1926-S Mercury dime in problem-free XF or better. It's not too tough in VF or lower, but suddenly disappears when you hit XF. They're out there, but few are choice examples (ugly surfaces, cleaned, or poorly struck, etc).

1919-D is pretty underrated too. Might as add 1931-D in there. It's low mintage, but is a bit more available because of the squirrel effect (1930-S and 1931-S not far behind in the same category). If the hobby expands or the series becomes more popular, it's gonna have a bit more pressure on the price because there are only so many out there.

I think the most undervalued coins generally are the ones just below the famous keys and semi-keys. The "famous" keys for Mercs, for instance, are 1916-D, 1921-D and 1921. 1926-S price-wise is fairly far behind. In terms of actual availability and mintage, it's not far behind at all. I think a lot of these sort of semi-keys in several series have potential. In Indian Head cents, 1877 and 1909-S are famous, but you can always find them. Some of those other scarce 1870s dates are underrated though.
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RealMetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1909 LWC (no S or VDB). Sleeper coin which I believe is undervalued even today.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think right now High grade Classic Commems are WAY under valued.

But to pick 3?

1. MS64 or better 1938-D Walking Liberty Half
2. MS64 or better 1926-S Mercury dime
3. MS64 or better 1932-S Washington Quarter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2593 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Junk silver.

And any "common" Morgan dollars, Standing Liberty quarters and Mercury dimes graded MS-66 or higher...

Quote:
1919-D (silver) is pretty underrated too.

Can't go wrong there...
GO: (Coin Collecting is) the only hobby that when you are broke you still have money.

DNA: "When you pay with cash, you KNOW when you're broke."

markn's US Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator
Edited by DNA
03/07/2012 7:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  8:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Couldn't find a dime or a half that pleased me, but I'd buy this quarter if I had the money and the time frame.
Currently on eBay.
That weak date is a great example of why this coin was re-cut in 1924.
Just could not stand up to circulation.

Link is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1919-D-Stan...em1c23f48301

I have never met a Barber Coin which I didn't like. Visit us at the Barber Coin Collectors' Society
Edited by matthewvincent
03/07/2012 8:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Half Dollar:

Link:

http://www.davidlawrence.com/invent...lotid/957697

In 35 years it will still be desirable.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
12275 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1916D Mercury dime
1909S VDB Lincoln Cent
1922 Plain Lincoln Cent
All 3 in MS-69.5+ grades.
just carl
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05