Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Australian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Australian Variety and Error Coins, Bank Notes, Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Show and tell :)

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Australian coin
Pillar Of The Community
1244 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  10:43 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Australian coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I thought I would show some of my finds from the past few weeks.

2004 Eureka $1 "B"

1993 Landcare $1 "S"

1978 50c peel cud thing (lamination through coin showing on face) also a peel cud thing from rim.

1985 $1 with lamination peel over

1c colours patina mostly seen on 1983
Have a few purples took a pic of light and dark ones, also a blue, golden yellow - no pic coluldnt see the yellow, and rainbows.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
965 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  12:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
Thanks for sharing.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
849 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  06:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love how there are mintmark coins just floating along in circulation...what are the most likely causes?
1) Theives (raiding a collection & just spending it as normal money)
2) Upset partners (that want to slowly kill their partners & their coin collections) (non-gender specific)
That's pretty much the only things I can think of...unless:
If the RAM releases excess stocks into circulation? Could this happen?
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
4398 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  06:14 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That $1 lamination is huge!

Gambling addictions goatie man?

I was talkimg to a family friend about a week ago about my coin collecting. She told me she used to get decimal uncirculated and proof mintsets for their birthday and christmas every year from an aunt. When she was at university she told me she was so broke she broke them free and spent them.

I wouldnt be suprised if that sort of careless spending goes on quite often. I have found an 1988 20c and 1990 50c in circulation so far.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
502 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In addition to the possibilities suggested above, I would be inclined to think that the likelihood of releases into the wild would increase inversely to the knowledge or interest in numismatics.

Therefore someone who finds, has been bequeathed, or is gifted a "familiar" base metal circulating coin, is probably more likely to spend rather than sell, particularly if the packaging becomes damaged by natural disaster, human, or animal influences.

Another possibility worth considering, are individuals who like to "seed" some of these issues into circulation, who no doubt would get a great deal of satisfaction out of seeing someone reporting a find of one of their "releases".
Valued Member
Australia
490 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  2:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steve - Oz 50c man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for sharing...

no prizes for guessing my favorite...

the '78 of course
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3632 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice error coins!

I think the 1978 50c has had a really bad ding in front of HM's forehead and the edge has folded in creating a ridge, but it still has a nice lamination flaw.

Quote:
That $1 lamination is huge!
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
1500 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  04:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the $1 Flaw is amazing,a shame it's had so much circulation.
The patina on those 1 cent coin is very nice.
Valued Member
Australia
318 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoinManTim to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would imagine all the mintmarked $1 coins are from children.
- Like kids who go to the Easter Show, get a stamped coin. Go 'ooo' 'aaa' then, meh, I can buy something at canteen next week with this!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
849 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enworb: I completely forgot to add in the number 3 factor:

Quote:
Gambling addictions

It's been a long long time since gambling. I think the last gambling I did was Tatts, a couple of years ago I spent a few bucks on Pokies, but I figure I like my stuff too much.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3632 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I rediscovered these two while sorting out some of my stashed 20c errors:

I think this was a Pl Flaw prior to minting.
20c 1981 Obv Hole in Q'S cheek v1

20c 1981 Obv Hole in Q'S cheek v2

This coin copped a fair bit, huge D.Ck + 2 cuds
20c 2000 Obv D.Ck Over ELIZABET

20c 2000 Obv D.Ck Over ELIZ V2

20c 2000 Obv D.Ck Over ABET V3

20c 2000 Obv D.Ck Over ELIZABE + Filled R

20c 2000 Obv D.Ck Over ELIZABE + Filled 0

Nancy
Valued Member
Australia
323 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add larena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nancy....couldn't believe it but I have the mate to your 2000 20 cent.

Edited by larena
04/19/2012 5:53 pm
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3632 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2012  02:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done larena! Yours appears to be in far better condition than mine. Just kidding.

Nancy
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05