Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

BURNISHED SILVER EAGLES

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Joe2012
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  1:58 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Joe2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I need help. My books tell me that the mint produced UNCIRCULATED BURNISHED SILVER EAGLES WITH W MINT MARK as 2006W, 2007W and 2008W. A collector friend told me that my book was wrong, that the mint produced UNC burnished every year since 2006. Another person told me only 2006-2008. Then today on eBay I saw an offer for 2011W BURNISHED SILVER EAGLE. What is the real situation? Any knowledge would be appreciated.

Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
1649 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  2:14 pm  Show Profile Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tell your "collector" friend that you will give him $500 for each 2009 W and 2010 W burnished Silver Eagles he can find.

They were only produced in 2006, 2007, 2008, and restarted again in 2011

I should add that an additional burnished ASE was produced in 2011 with an S mint mark.
Edited by Foxwoods Man
03/08/2012 2:17 pm
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yep, your friend is wrong, they did not mint the burnished collector UNC versions in 2009 and 2010 because of a shortage of Silver. They did resume production in 2011 but not sure if they will do it again this year with the way silver is going this year. They have to mint as many bullion versions it takes to meet demand so when the demand is high on those the burnished collector version doesn't get minted and that is what happened in 2009 and 2010
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joe2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the clarifications. Glad to have you all available to get the facts. Thanks again.
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ianp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Noobie question: What's the difference between a standard silver eagle and a burnished silver eagle?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1649 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  11:06 am  Show Profile Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"standard" or bullion ASE has no mint mark (could be from West Point or SanFran)...mintage usually in the 10's of millions...available singly or in rolls of 20...not sold directly by the Mint to the public...minted every year since 1986

burnished ASE has a W (or S) Mint mark...mintage in the low hundred thousands...sold individually by directly by the Mint..series started in 2006..none minted in 2009 or 2010..started again in 2011 and an S mint was added for the 25h Annie set. These have a different finish than the bullion and are struck on burnished blanks.

.....and then there are the proofs and reverse proofs

Edited by Foxwoods Man
03/09/2012 11:10 am
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joe2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More clarification needed. I have a collection of UNC eagles with every year through 2012. For this series to be complete, it would seem that I would need to add burnished UNCs 2006W, 2007W, 2008W, 2011W, and 2011S. I had never heard of the UNC 2011S burnished before, so do you know if it was sold individually or just in some sort of set? Thanks again for any inputs.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2011 S was sold only in the set from the US Mint, but you may be able to find one sold individually now. Not sure how much, but I get they are going to be more expensive than previous ones.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  4:20 pm  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have a bullion set 1986-2012 I would call it complete. Now if you want to add the "w" and "s" coins that were released to collectors by the mint you certainly can along with all the proof and reverse proofs to.

2011 S

Reverse proof 2006 p (also there is a 2011 p)

There are rumors about a special "s" mint set of a reverse proof and burnished "s" mint coin to mark an anniversary of the San Francisco mint.
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
San Fransisco didn't mint the UNC version until 2011 I believe, before that they were minted only at West Point but there is no way to tell where the coin came from unless you have the whole "Green Monster" box of them saying what Mint they were shipped from because neither the West Point or the San Fransisco UNC ASE's have a Mint mark. So if you have a 2011 bullion coin it could be either from West Point or San Fransisco and I wou7ld say the collection is up to date since there is no way of telling the difference between the two. The only ASE with the S Mint mark was included in the collectors set for the 25th anniversary, all others from San Fransisco doesn't have a mint mark
Pillar Of The Community
United States
759 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add clairhardesty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bullion coins were originally minted at San Francisco (just like the proofs) but eventually all production moved to West Point until 2011 when SF began minting bullion again. All of the bullion coins in the 25th anniversary sets were struck in San Francisco, as were several million other 2011 bullion coins. The so called burnished coins are actually what the mint calls uncirculated strikes. The blanks are burnished prior to upsetting to make for a more uniform surface after striking but none of the burnishing remains after being struck. The final finish on the uncirculated coins is a result of the fact that the die have been sandblasted, not a result of the blank burnishing (bullion die are not sandblasted and the finish on bullion coins is classic mint luster). The blanks for bullion coins are sent to upsetting exactly as they come in from the vendors. The blanks for proof coins are highly polished before upsetting but again, that is not what gives them their final mirror finish, it only minimizes any possible surface defects and enhances die lifetime. Again, it is the die that imparts the finish to the coin. The bullion coins have no mint mark. All uncirculated and proof (reverse included) coins have mint marks. So far the reverse proofs have only been minted in Philadelphia (in 2006 and 2011, but different production methods were used in the two years). Proof SAEs have come from three mints over the years (S,W, &P) with only Denver left out of the mix. We are probably going to see more varieties (or at least mint marks) in the coming years because of the success of the 2011 anniversary set.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05