Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Counterfeit Morgan Dollar or Peace Dollar

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
TheDanMan
Pillar Of The Community
527 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  9:02 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add TheDanMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
If you found a counterfeit Morgan or Peace dollar, what would you do with it?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Poll Choices
I would throw it away so it would be one less counterfeit in circulation.
I would keep it for the time being.
I would spend it in circulation and let somebody else deal with it.
I would cash it in at the bank and let a coin roll hunter find it.
I don't know what I would do.

Anonymous Vote
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1725 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would keep it just so I know what the differences are between fakes and real ones
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1231 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add onejinx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#3 & #4 would actually be against the law to knowingly pass a counterfiet item
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
5841 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would keep it, but that also depends on if I bought it as a real coin and paid a "real coin" price.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4246 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have some and I am keeping them, the holders I have labeled as made in Hong Kong.
There are so many fakes and so many to come yet that destroying any number of those you can get your mitts on will never make the slightest difference. I think they are valuable tools to use for exposing fakes to other collectors.
I would never sell them and I don't think it is illegal to own, only to sell as real.

Here's a pretty convincing fake coin.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1661 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TheDanMan...I was the 2nd to vote and turned off my computer and logged on again and could vote again (6th vote)...No big deal thou.
The question is more important than the answer
Pillar Of The Community
United States
501 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Billie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Along with the picture could you point out the markers that to look for?
I'm thinking the I & the second t of in god we trust, also the 8's in the date?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2227 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't vote because I didn't care for the options.

I keep a record of every coin that I buy and how much I paid and who sold it to me. I get a receipt and often a business card.

If anybody ever sells a fake to me, I will raise a fuss. I will report the crime. I will post the incident here and every other coin site that will allow me to post.

If it was an honest mistake made by an honest dealer, then I would expect the dealer to make it right. But I am certain a dealer could spot a fake so I don't expect that to be the case -- ever.
Pillar Of The Community
527 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheDanMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I didn't vote because I didn't care for the options.

I keep a record of every coin that I buy and how much I paid and who sold it to me. I get a receipt and often a business card.

If anybody ever sells a fake to me, I will raise a fuss. I will report the crime. I will post the incident here and every other coin site that will allow me to post.

If it was an honest mistake made by an honest dealer, then I would expect the dealer to make it right. But I am certain a dealer could spot a fake so I don't expect that to be the case -- ever.

That's great and all, but what if you find a fake from a bank?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4246 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Along with the picture could you point out the markers that to look for?
I'm thinking the I & the second t of in god we trust, also the 8's in the date?

No I could not, I am not familiar with the details of a real one ( 1881 CC ), but I suppose you could compare one to the other with an internet search.
My point is that some fakes are pretty darn convincing.
If it were a 1921 fake Morgan, somebody could slip a few in with others and rip someone off easily enough.
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  01:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cali_Nick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
keep as a learning tool probably.

Probably not smart to buy an 1881 CC Morgan unless its graded anyways. A slabbed example costs only a little more(relatively speaking).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I compared your fake 81 CC with this one:
http://www.coincommunity.com/us_dol...n_dollar.asp

And they look really close. Did you ever weigh or measure your fake one?
I've been collecting, since 1975.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
20306 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would keep it for novelty and educational purposes.

Hopefully I bought it as a known counterfeit and did not pay the authentic coin price.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn about my new avatar and my old one.

>>> Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions <<<

Did you know that our members sell on eBay and that there is a better way to search it?
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  12:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjtm92 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would definitely keep it. I've purchased quite a few fakes, but knowing they were fake just to use as a reference. But I would never put it back into circulation or trade it at a bank. That's as bad as the person(s) who made the coin.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1226 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  12:55 pm  Show Profile Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I have seen a few and even did a bit of research on a 1889 CC counterfeit. On this one just to confirm what I was thinking I took the thing to 3 dealers that have been around or 25 years plus each. Of the 3 dealers 2 tried to buy the thing. The weight was spot on as well as size. The reed count was off by only 2 and I sent it to Leroy Van Allen, the reverse die was made using as 1884 CC dollar and the obverse was made by a 1889 P dollar. If it was pocketized to ware a bit of luster off that coin for a few weeks I am 100% sure it would of passed by 95% of every dealer you would show it to.

My buddy had bought the coin in a fake PCGS holder and the ID number matched a 1889 CC in AU-55 as the label said. The coin looked like a MS-61 slider. It sits in a sealed holder currently slabbed with the VAM number given to it, as well as labeled Counterfeit.

On pricey coins know your die pairs, and if a deal is just to good to pass up....Think Again. I would think 99% of all fakes that are sold by someone, the buyer thinks he is getting a steal of a deal. Steal is right but the buyer needs to look in a mirror to see who is getting robbed.
Never argue with an idiot..They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with Experience
Edited by twohawks
03/09/2012 12:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1627 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
definately keep it so I would know what a fake looks like and use it as a conversation piece
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05