Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit Morgan Dollar or Peace Dollar

Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1392 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect and study counterfeits so whatever fakes I find would be photographed, classified, conspicuously labeled, and then come to rest somewhere in my black cabinet.

If it's a variety I already have several examples of and is otherwise not of interest, it gets stamped with "COPY" on both sides and it becomes play money for the kids. :-)

I also always keep a fake Morgan (a 1903-CC ;-) ) in my back pocket as a conversation piece.

Edit: I also couldn't vote in the poll. It seems broken.
-Steve (GSNA R-2306)
The Black Cabinet
A Database of Counterfeit Coins.
Counterfeit identification and attribution services.
Edited by SteveCaruso
03/09/2012 9:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1486 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  11:29 pm  Show Profile Check Coinstar's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Coinstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my fake Morgan I keep and stick to a magnet and show people what (some) fakes look like
"The internet? Is that thing still around?" Homer Simpson.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
767 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ArrowsAndRays to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am certain a dealer could spot a fake

Half of all dealers are below average , so I dunno if that's always true.
Secret Santa!
Upgrading my 7070 never ends!
Edited by ArrowsAndRays
03/10/2012 7:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1392 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Half of all dealers are below average , so I dunno if that's always true.

Indeed. Hehe I forgot to mention that all of my fakes to date were purchased from dealers (after being identified as fakes, of course) who were less than careful when they, themselves, bought them. :-)
-Steve (GSNA R-2306)
The Black Cabinet
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was offered seven fake Trade dollars the other day, four dangerously deceptive. When I told the woman they were fake, she didn't act very surprised, so I suspect she had already been told.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4979 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  1:52 pm  Show Profile Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you detect a Chinese fake Morgan/Peace Dollar by using a strong magnet ?
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
1392 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not all fakes are magnetic. In fact, I just picked up 7 new specimens for my black cabinet today, and 4 of them were not. However, many of them are. There is an entire battery of tests you can easily perform that will weed out 99% of all of fakes. The remaining 1% you'd need specialized equipment, or a lot of patience, to detect.

I'll actually be posting a fake-detection tutorial on the Numismetrica blog in the upcoming weeks due to a new series I'm covering on counterfeits. --> http://numismetrica.wordpress.com/
-Steve (GSNA R-2306)
The Black Cabinet
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yankee1227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How much do you usually have to pay for your counterfeits?
"I'm living for giving the devil his due, and I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you.." Blue Oyster Cult
Pillar of the Community
United States
1392 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It really depends on how much the dealer in question is willing to part with them for. I tend to pay $1-3 a piece for counterfeit silver dollars nowadays. For exceedingly good specimens (from the aforementioned 1%) I may pay a premium, and for counterfeits made of silver (they exist, but are rare) I pay spot based on a reasonable estimate of purity.

Sometimes I'll have an agreement with a dealer where they let me keep any fakes I find in their holdings or recent acquisitions (of course, provided I can prove to them beyond a shadow of a doubt they're fake :-) ) or I'll go over a lot a dealer wishes to buy from a third party and haggle with the seller for the counterfeits I find.

It's a very mixed bag. :-)
-Steve (GSNA R-2306)
The Black Cabinet
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05