Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Ancient, Greek, and Roman Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Constantius II AE3/4

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
w00zi
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  12:18 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add w00zi to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello, I am new to collecting Roman coinage and I was curious to see if any of you here know where this coin was minted. Thanks.

Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
13182 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  01:40 am  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it migh be AQ, for Aquileia mint.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8603 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That coin is well struck and has nice, almost complete detail.
Pillar Of The Community
9394 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nicely struck coin!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2562 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  1:08 pm  Show Profile Check TJsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TJsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Attractive coin!
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add w00zi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, the coin is graded Au: strike 4/5 surface 5/5 by NGC.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1541 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dougsmit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really disagree. The coin does not have 'almost complete detail' unless you consider the mintmark as inconsequential. That NGC can call 4/5 a coin missing so much legend including a mint mark that is half off is why I can not take seriously their services in particular or slabbing in general. I guess they see the coin as well struck because of the detail it has while I see it more for the most significant detail it lacks.
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add w00zi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe centering is only one of the factors NGC considers when assigning strike grades (see NGC ancients program details). I agree with you that grading is a matter of opinion and should be not be taken to be an objective art. One should buy the coin not the grade. I for one will only buy slabbed coins as one can be assured of the coins authenticity and that it has been professionally conserved.
Pillar Of The Community
9394 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was curious what experienced ancient collectors would say about the grade, because I don't see ancients graded "AU" very often. If I sent in an ancient to get slabbed by NGC, I would hope they would determine the mint, if at all possible--by cross-referencing if needed. In other words--make a serious effort for my money.

Focusing on ancients that are slabbed is a needless and limiting pursuit--imo. Simply because respected dealers of ancients can guarantee authenticity just as well as any TPG. And since later Roman AEs aren't commonly faked, the issue of authenticity is largely moot--correct attribution is more important. Another limiting factor to slabbing is how many ancients simply will not fit into TPG holders. And once a coin is encapsulated, the main aspect of ancients I enjoy most--the details--are one step removed by those plastic coin coffins.

This is not a critique of your coin--it's very nice! I'm just a critic of slabbing as it pertains to ancients, because it doesn't have to limit the collector.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8603 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  01:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
duugsmit:

It is the mint mark area that I am hung up on.
Formerly jwharper
4253 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Allow me to jump in with my 2 cents worth. Everyone here knows how I feel about slabbing. It's why I no longer collect modern coins. I also agree with Doug. Without a mintmark, the ancient coin is incomplete. This particular coin's mintmark can probably be discerned in the proper light or with the correct equipment. Having said all of that, this is a nice coin in any event.

BTW,
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05