Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Ancient, Greek, and Roman Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

We're cleaning!

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
unfamiliar
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  3:50 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add unfamiliar to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm taking a couple day break from posting coins. For starters, I'm sure some of you were getting sick of me. :) And I want to try my hand and cleaning a couple of the coins before I post any more.

For the first batch, I picked two coins that were literally unrecognizable. I figure no harm, no foul if I screw up my first attempt. I'm also doing the coin you guys said was in the early stages of bronze disease.

For now I just plan to leave them in distilled water, pull them out every two days, gently wash and brush them, then put them back in for 2 more days and rinse and repeat as necessary.

I'll update this thread with my progress.

As always any and all advice is welcome.

And as a side note, I've picked up a couple boxes of coins to try coin roll hunting to keep myself busy in the meanwhile. I'm sorry to say, fellas, but I think I'm hooked on coins. Once I feel I've gotten cleaning down, I might actually pick up one of those ancient coin lots from eBay and see what I can do there.

Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
9153 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck--and look forward to see the results!
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cajunlady0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are just one week ahead of me, Unfamiliar. I swear, this past Wednesday night was just crazy.

My little story (whether you want to hear it or not)... here goes....

For the past almost 30 days I have been bidding on eBay to win some uncleaned roman coins. I have never cleaned any before. So, every day... without fail.... I would have bids on various coins ranging in number from 10 to 200 in a batch. Lost every single one of them because I refuse to go over $1 a coin.

So, needless to say, I always have about 6 bids going - BECAUSE I LOSE EVERYONE OF THEM! That is why!

That was not the case this past Wednesday night... no one was on eBay. Don't know where they were, but they were not bumping my bids. I won a total of 268 uncleaned roman coins in 5 diff. auctions. I got them at a great price, but would have been happy to lose the rest after winning the FIRST AUCTION.

So, I have punished myself because of the total cost of those winning auctions and I can not buy anything off of eBay for at least a month or two. When these coins start coming in, I will be busy cleaning mine too.

Want to have a coin cleaning party at your house?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2976 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

Glad to see there are other coin "noobs" (as my kids would say) here! I just started cleaning about a two months ago , got a few practice coins then started buying small batches on eBay.

I'd say don't be afraid to pay more than a buck per coin, just got a batch of 50 for 50 bucks, 50% junk, 30% poor, 20% mediocre. Now I want to see a picture of each coin (prefer front and back), not a stock picture of coins or a stack of coins with the 3 best sitting on top of a hill of beans (my batch of 50 I mentioned)...If they look like I could attribute them, I'll pay more money no problem.

Plastic toothpics are great by the way, I've had lots of luck with them!
Valued Member
Canada
308 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  12:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timnic44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too will be venturing into the cleaning of ancient coins. Another newbie in the ranks. I have never done this but it should be interesting and could be costly if I get hooked
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2119 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  05:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jessvc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
50 for 50 bucks, 50% junk, 30% poor, 20% mediocre

Thats about average from my experience on eBay. If you look up "uncleaned" or "as found" on vcoins you might get some better results for a little more money. Keep in mind that most of these coins are not cleaned for a reason usually a spot of corrosion, or scratch kept the sellers from bringing out the flaws in the coins by cleaning them but you will get some nice attributed coins in the end. Good luck and have some fun you will enjoy better grade, problem free coins in the end and have some experience attributing them.
There are many methods to clean coins and usually it will take at least a couple of these combined to get a nice one. Distilled water is probably one of the best methods and does the least amount of damage.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2119 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  06:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jessvc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If anybody is interested I have a concoction that will help clean your coins that has been posted and discussed before. I can answer questions if you have any about pretty much any cleaning method you might have. I have a few years experience in cleaning ancients and would be more then happy to help out, Just message me.
Edited by jessvc1
03/10/2012 08:36 am
Formerly jwharper
4253 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want to wish all of you good luck on these coins. Hopefully, all of you will have some nice coins to attribute when the cleaning is all done. As I have said before, I have sworn off of uncleaned lots for the very reason chrsmat71 gave when he described the coins in his lot. Not once did I find a coin worth the money, time and effort. But I hope that's not the case with all your coins. I'll be watching to see the results.

Regards
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2976 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the vcoins tip!

I had to google "coin roll hunting", guess it's pretty much what it sounds like it is...good luck with that unfamiliar!
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cajunlady0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a question..... what do you do with the "junk" and "poor" coins? After you clean them and there is nothing really visible to see, where do you put them? Trash?

Was just curious. I have a feeling I will have many of these and did not want to just throw them away, but would good are they if they are that bad?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Formerly jwharper
4253 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FORVM coins will take any coin you wish to donate to be given to students in Roman history classes free of charge. You can check on their site on how to donate:http://www.forumancientcoins.com/
United States
12737 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  12:30 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate to trash the culls. The ones that still have some detail and can be attributed to an emperor I either give away to young collectors or sell on eBay for a few dollars as very low grade and culls. The ones that are just slugs I put aside and forget about.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2976 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Total junk ends up in landscaping gravel around the fire pit....should make for some interesting conversation when we roast some marshmallows out back.

I'm working on a "poor" collection that's going on eBay, but most I'm giving away to people or donating to the western civ instructor at the community college I teach at to show his students.
I'd gladly donate some to other schools also, thanks for the info about donating to forvm coins...I"ll do that!

Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cajunlady0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK guys....... I have some questions. Below are some pics of my coins. They were not that dirty when they arrived. They have been soaking in distilled water for only a couple of days and have been lightly brushed. I think they are clean now. Seems to have no residue coming off when they are brushed and wiped on white towel. Am I wrong?

After they bake in a low temp oven, are they NOW ready for an olive oil soak? OR should they go back to distilled water for more soaking?

What do you suggest?

I think I have a lot of bad ones in here, but since this is my first attempt, I am really not sure yet.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2119 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jessvc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks like a better lot than many I've purchased, just let them air dry for a while then throw them in some olive oil. I think the baking part is more important for at the end of the cleaning process to get rid of any moisture that may still be in the coins.
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cajunlady0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you so much JESSVC....... will put them in olive this evening. What is left on them is not coming off with a light brushing after soaking, so an olive oil soak is next so I can pick off any layers that allow me to.

Glad to hear your comments about them not being so bad. My first thought was "OUCH... I just threw a bunch of money down the drain".

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05