Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1912 "S" LIBERTY NICKEL You VS PCGS

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  7:44 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Chewyduck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey guys, I finally filled one of those tough holes, let me know what you think. Also on another forum, I asked the best way to crack a slab. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but I want to crack it put it in the album and glue the label beneath it. I've cracked several slabs, but never a key, what do you think? Thanks in advance

PS, I only have 1885 left, wish me luck

Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chewyduck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mod HELP! I put it in the wrong category argh!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4421 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In addition to the 'wrong forum' ... you also need to post the photo so we can have some fun and play estimate the grade.

FWIW ... I've cracked all my key Liberty nickels and placed them raw in my Dansco ... including my 1885 PCGS AU55 ... so my vote is go for it.

Here is my 20-second slab cracking technique ... and as it happens this was in fact my 1885 Liberty nickel.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...&whichpage=1

Best wishes to find that final coin!

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chewyduck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok It's Friday and I just worked 12 hours sorry!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4421 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going PCGS F12 on this one ... nice coin.

Is it still in the slab?

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chewyduck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
still in, to crack or not to crack?
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chewyduck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Nickel, au55? dam, ok mine will be MUCH easier to crack
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chewyduck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The band saw ....nice
Learn More...
United States
14427 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  10:14 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another F12 here, maybe F15.
Crack. Just put the label in the back of the Dansco.
I use these. Just make sure to wear safety goggles.

johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
ANA LM1214396 - Early big copper enthusiast.
Edited by vermontensium
03/09/2012 10:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lacking access to a wood shop, this works pretty well too.

Some people use a hammer, which seems a lot less controlled to me, but to each his own.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5265 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  05:16 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to use a hammer, very uncontrolled is right and saftey glasses are a must - that plastic can go flying! Nowdays I use my dremel tool works great, I never damaged a coin with the hammer though I did damage myself a few times.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2434 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  06:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I never damaged a coin with the hammer though I did damage myself a few times.

Been there done that!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4355 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-12
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Pillar of the Community
United States
4006 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  10:38 am  Show Profile Check Jaobler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LIBERTY appears incomplete which is not necessarily a disqualifier for Fine, but I'd guess VG-10 for this "almost fine" coin.

The 1912-S is way cool, in any grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5360 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will guess F-12.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5265 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  9:36 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Been there done that!

Had the hammer rebound back up and hit me in the head, hit my thumb and other fingers, and had plastic shards stick into my arm (ouch), cut myself prying the coin out on a jagged holder, now I just clamp the slab down real tight in a vise and Dremel the sides off, much safer!

I remember the sounds of hammers hitting plastic echoing throughout the Long Beach Coin Show in the early 90's, seemed like every couple of minutes and "Whack" "Whack" "Crack" it was kind of weird.

EDIT - Opps I never guessed a grade so - I'll go VG-10 on this coin.

Hey Chewyduck on the 1885 you don't need any luck just $$$$ to acquire one
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Edited by westcoin
03/10/2012 9:44 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05