Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

To dip or not to dip, that is the question (silver coin/s)

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Australia
853 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  05:25 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi all, I have a curious question. I was at the last Malvern Town Hall Stamp/Coin show & I was showing a few of my coins to dealers, some of which were for sale & some of which were not (so I could get dealers to grade). After showing Klaus Ford my 1921 Shilling, he made a statement that the eye appeal of the coin wasn't great (obviously) & he suggested dipping the coin. The coin is below:

• Have any of you dipped coins professionally (or not)?

• Were you happy with the results?

• What price did you pay?

• Do you have any recommendations?

I will not be dipping the coin myself, but I am looking for a professional to do this for me. I know it should be a light dip or possibly electroplated.
I am looking at doing this to sell this coin in the future (unless if I fall back in love with it) & hopefully for what I paid for it. If I get more that would be great. The coin grades at aEF (with 8 pearls) & it was purchased at Downies auctions a few years ago. It also has a few nice die cracks on the reverse at 3 & 9 o'clock.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1587 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  05:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you thought about professional coin conservation,if that is something stuck to the surface they may be able to make pretty again,maybe.
http://www.ncscoin.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5007 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  06:07 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a VF+ or better 1921 shilling $300- $500 coin. do not dip or clean this as it would be graded as aVF in an instant. Worth about $120 after the dip.
the strike on the reverse is weak with some problems with marks/gouges, the obverse has some scratches in the patina other wise is EF or better, If you dip this it will probably destroy that patina and take away the joy of this coin.
Dont dip it ple ASE
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Valued Member
Australia
155 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  06:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rbarat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Goatieman23,
I don't know and haven't read much about dipping, but altering the coins surface using electroplating would more than likely impact the price negatively.

Were the marks present on the obverse when you bought it ?

Valued Member
Australia
318 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  06:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoinManTim to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
goatieman; I've looked at the coin and my jaw has dropped.

I hate to break it to you; I'm in love with your coin. It will make it awkward if you fall back in love with it. Three people in the relationship would be bad!

Out of curiosity, what did you pay for it at auction?
Valued Member
Australia
155 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  06:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rbarat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a a good read I found about dipping coins.

http://www.pcgscoinguide.com/coingu...nal_pages=26
Pillar of the Community
Australia
503 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  06:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While some bog and a repaint might pass muster and improve the resale value of a car, I'm not so sure about a coin...
Pillar of the Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  06:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CoinManTim Posted - Today :8 Min ago
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
goatieman; I've looked at the coin and my jaw has dropped.

I hate to break it to you; I'm in love with your coin. It will make it awkward if you fall back in love with it. Three people in the relationship would be bad!

you think there will be only 3. Don't jump the gun just yet CMT as AC, nancyc and a few others haven't had a say so there will be more than 3 in this relationship looking at that, nice coin GM Sorry I couldn't help with your questions GM
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8710 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  06:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer natural un toned coins to toned coins in top condition. The mints put NCLT coins in air tight capsules to prevent toning.
What would you prefer, if you had the choice of the following Bust Halves?
(I have used American coins as an example to encourage American opinions, but should apply to all coins)

1. MS65 with brilliant lustre, or
2. MS65 with even grey patination.

Which would be the rarest of the two?

How would you preserve the brilliance of the coin in option 1?

I would be very disappointed, even angry, if either of the option coins were dipped.

I think I know where Klaus is coming from, he would be considering to try to soften the scuff marks on the obverse. Probably less risk on a VF coin to dip; still would not do it.
Edited by sel_69l
03/10/2012 07:00 am
Valued Member
Australia
148 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  07:20 am  Show Profile Check bellyflorin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bellyflorin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like that coin as is, the coin has character as it should be been a 92 year old coin. I have some dipped florins in my collection , which I brought in late 70s ,they just don't look right.No cartwheeling lustre ,just little foggy mirrors now ,zombie coins they have no soul.
I hate them.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1587 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK so it is scrapes ? I guess coin conservation is't going to fix that LOL,but seriously NO do not dip the coin.
I sold every coin in my collection that I knew for sure was cleaned/dipped,i've still got a few that I'm not positive about but when I can afford to replace them they will go just on suspicion.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
853 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Answers:

Quote:
Were the marks present on the obverse when you bought it?

The marks were there...I was at a stage where I wanted a lovely looking 1921 Star Shilling.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what did you pay for it at auction?

I paid around $265 after comissions to Downies for the purchase.

Quote:
OK so it is scrapes?

Only scrapes on the reverse, I think the obverse is just discoloured.
Does anyone think I'd get $300 or above for it?
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3692 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only suggestion I'd consider from all the above opinions is coin conservation. I would not dip it or electroplate it.

I bet if you did, and took it back to KF, he would devalue it, so my opinion for what it's worth, is either conserve it, or leave it as is.

If it was my coin, I'd leave it as is. My 1921* is in very poor condition by comparison, but there's still no way I'd do anything to change it.

A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Valued Member
Australia
413 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add b_j_w_79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't touch it myself. I like to have coins in original condition whatever that may be. If you want to resell it at some point dipping it my reduce a large number of people who you would want to buy it who would also prefer it in original condition!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
639 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MobOfRoos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with CoinManTim. I'm in love with your coin goatieman and I love it just the way it is.

I have a question though. Could someone post some pics of dipped coins? I have a few coins in my collection which I have suspicions were dipped. Does a lightly dipped coin retain cartwheel lustre?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  8:38 pm  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My understanding of dipping is it wont affect the lustre but from comments here it seems as if people think it might. Acetone only removes organic grime/toning and as the lustre is inorganic I would have thought it wouldnt be affected the americans seem to do it heaps from what I've seen on this site.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05