Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

To dip or not to dip, that is the question (silver coin/s)

Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Australia
503 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  05:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All you have to do is look at that sellers 1946 florin obverse and go...
Valued Member
Australia
155 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  05:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rbarat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bellyflorin,
I apologize if that post come off in the wrong tone. I'm by no means an expert, and I was just braindumping my last couple of months of obsession! :(
Regarding ANDA you are correct there is no reference to cleaning or dipping, my reference was just specific to where lustre may be seen in an aUNC coin in the aUNC section of the guide.

PS: Don't keep your opinions to yourself. I'm sure everyone here is more than happy to help us.
Valued Member
Australia
148 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  06:55 am  Show Profile Check bellyflorin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bellyflorin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi rbarat,she's alright mate, no need for apologies , was sort of holding back from posting any negative comments towards seller's coins. lol .I was biting my tongue,not biting you .
It looks like you got my main point anyway no ANDA info on cleaned and dipped coins .
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1289 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  04:33 am  Show Profile Check markn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add markn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Klaus Ford wrote the anda grading standard. It should come as a surprise to noone that the effect of cleaning on a coin isn't mentioned in that standard.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
853 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  05:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never knew Klaus wrote the ANDA grading standard...wow, that sort of baffles me. So, does that mean we're trusting a guy in glasses...just taking the piss out of people wearing glasses.
Valued Member
Australia
148 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  06:02 am  Show Profile Check bellyflorin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bellyflorin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have my glasses on goatieman ,Klaus FORD hey thanks markn , yep no surprises , my little voice in my head is saying something but I can't repeat it
Pillar of the Community
Australia
503 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Klaus Ford wrote the anda grading standard. It should come as a surprise to noone that the effect of cleaning on a coin isn't mentioned in that standard.

Firstly, I would say that ANDA is a group that exists to support its members - namely dealers, not the wider numismatic community.

Secondly, on the issue of cleaning, while I understand that many may view it to be ethically dubious, we do need to bear in mind ancient coins, and the re-sale of coins that have previously been cleaned.

Note: in stating that, none of the above changes my personal view that the use of silver dip (in an attempt to increase the sale value of a coin) by a dealer is unethical.
Valued Member
Australia
459 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  04:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dibby33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No Clean. No dip. Nothing.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05