Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Large SD Variety 2010 5c

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Australia
234 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  07:46 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Need verification on a large SD variety for 2010 5c mintage

(see pics)

I'm convinced but would like someone else's opinion for verification

LARGE SD

NORMAL SD

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1588 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep,looks at least two/three times the size to me.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks different for sure! What percentage is each type do you think?
Valued Member
Australia
234 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haven't paid much attention to a possible larger SD varieety on the 2010 5c coins simply becuase many of early batch of 2010 5c coins released into circulation were the standard "tiny SD" variety and subsequently stopped looking after a while. Pulled about large SD 3 coins out of a batch of 200 5c coins but too early to tell if rare or not or even apply a percentage to it.
Need to go through a few more 2010 5c coins before any firm stats can be ascertained
Valued Member
Australia
234 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are pics of other 2 Large SD 2010 5c Coins

Formerly nancyc
Australia
3722 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems someone at the RAM keeps digging out some old 5 cent reverse dies and using them, as all the reverses after late 2007 (I think) were supposedly going to have the 'Tiny SD'.

I have different size SD's for 07, 08,and 09, but haven't found any 2010 large SD that I can remember. I'll check the 20+ coins that I have and see if I missed noticing the difference.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Pillar of the Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
are they becoming cost conscious and recycling old dies instead of making a new one which must be costly. ie, hey boss this die is stuffed we need a new one. boss, nah just grab a good one from the old ones till we get the next set.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ive said it before
RAM = public service
public service = lazy
lazy = lazy mistakes.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3722 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  8:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check the 2010 coins that I could locate, I had 2 separated from the others, they were both Large SD.

5c 2010 Large SD x 2 : Tiny SD x 1 for comparison

I haven't noodled any coins for some months but I remember the last lot was $100 x 5c, and I found either 20 or 22 x 2010. I should have another 10 or so, but can't find them.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Edited by Nevol
03/11/2012 8:08 pm
Valued Member
Australia
234 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say from your photos Nancy that this is conclusive now that 2 varities are confirmed to exist for 2010 5c coins

Haven't seen any UNC ones as yet so I think it is safe to assume that die used for circulating coins only at this stage unless someone can find one in a mint set

Thanks to all that have contributed
Pillar of the Community
Australia
977 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have kept a fairly large number of 2010 5c that I have found (pretty much all the good ones).
I will see if I can give an idea of the proportions at some point.
Valued Member
Australia
464 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  05:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dibby33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will be back on the 5c noodling as I am skint! I have two bags of coins to take back to the bank and will get 5c rolls (from another bank of course). I am sure both banks think that I am insane. They would be correct of course :)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
855 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2012  11:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone know how common the variety or dies could be? I'm wondering if any of these are scarce. I went through a bunch of 5 cent pieces & found both types in 24 x 2010 5 cent coins.

Also I found a new 2010 error, check it out here:
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=114628
Pillar of the Community
Australia
780 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  03:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't had the chance to look yet. What were the percentages of each that you found?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
855 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  06:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't count the ratio. I was checking to see if I had both which came up pretty quick.
Valued Member
Australia
234 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Analysis of recent count as follows:

119 2010 5c Coins

Tiny SD 53%
Largeer SD 47%

Conclusion is this variety is not rare. Early on tiny SD die used and thus it took a while for larger variety to become common. Latest die used sugeests it is the larger SD type which will most likely mean that the tiny SD version may become harder to find in the future if original die not used again
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05