Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

UNI-Safe #165 Canadian Dollar folder

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
137 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  12:50 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add nickle nubber to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Does anyone know if this folder contains PVC.

Valued Member
Canada
137 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickle nubber to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK I'll pose it a different way, does anybody use these types of coin folders?
Please if you have any experience , please post.
Thanks
Valued Member
Canada
108 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pimpim to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've bought those uni-safe folders for my collection. They are not too expensive and the plastic that used, on what I had heard, doesn't contain PVC. It's a kind of hard plastic so it seems to be chemically stable and doesn't affect the coins.

The use of it. A bit of a pain. You need the proper tool to insert or remove the coin. Up to date I'm using my fingers, it's okay because I don't really have hi-grade coins. Another that bugged me was the plastic cracks easily when I move the coins.

If I had hi-grade coins I would choose the Withman type of folder where you insert a coin in holes and is protected by a plastic that you slide at the back and the front.

I hope that it can help you and sorry for my description I'm french and try do describe the best I can.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use them , I think there fine, supposed to be pvc free,I like the title strips easy to change.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
test
Canada
29 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2013  09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silvergoose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been going through my dad's old Uni-Safe albums (the little blue ones) that he put together in the 80's.

In his albums for quarters and dimes I've noticed that the coins from 1967 and earlier (with silver content) have developed a greenish blue sticky gunk on them. Really sad to see as the book he intended to keep these coins safe in ultimately damaged them.

The fella at my local coin shop recommended I use acetone to remove the gunk and it worked like a chamrm. I didn't want to go this route, but the coins were already damaged.

These books are definitely not a good long-term strategy for storage. I'm still new to collecting, can anyone recommend a decent coin album I can turn to for storage of nickels, pennies and post 67 dimes and quarters? Anyone use the Numis albums?

Thanks!
Valued Member
Canada
116 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2013  11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EY_Pep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use the Numis albums and I like them for the ease of moving things around in my collection. I've only been using them for the past 2 years, so I don't know if there are any long term drawbacks...I hope not, since I have like 10 albums!
Valued Member
Canada
302 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2013  6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CanadianCoins1999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have any of you guys tried the new Lighthouse coin album, it really quite nice and does not damage or let in any air into the space that holds the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1177 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2013  7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jakedacc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YES, from all the research I've done, PVC of some degree is in there, all my denomination collections were in them and I removed them. a good friend said that a vast majority of his coins turned green
Canada
29 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2013  08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silvergoose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much for the quick feedback guys. I'll check out the Numis and Lighthouse albums then!
Valued Member
Canada
335 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2013  10:42 am  Show Profile Check barriecarson's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barriecarson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I order these albums from Uni safe last year they confirmed to me that the albums contained NO PVC or another chemical that would harm the coins.

Would a trusted Canadian company that has been manufacturing coin albums for over 25 years still be unaware of the damage that PVC causes to coins? I find this highly unlikely. But if someone has proof that these albums do in fact contain PVC then I will be making a phone call and demanding a refund from Uni Safe.
Canada
29 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2013  12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silvergoose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would a trusted Canadian company that has been manufacturing coin albums for over 25 years still be unaware of the damage that PVC causes to coins? I find this highly unlikely. But if someone has proof that these albums do in fact contain PVC then I will be making a phone call and demanding a refund from Uni Safe.

Perhaps they've changed the way they manufacture their albums over the years. If I could show you how the coins my dad's albums from the 80's looked, you'd definitely think twice about storing any coin that contains silver in them. Come to think of it, some of the nickel coins have also show signs of that blue-green gunk.

I'll be transferring the contents of his old albums to brand news ones, but not the silver coins. Those I have decided to encapsulate instead.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05