Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The PR70DCAM Eisenhower Dollar that isn't (LIVE AUCTION)

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  2:34 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

http://teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?...9&lot=2226#n

*This is a live auction- and I am offering commentary that reflects my opinion and is in no way meant to stop an arm's length transaction between active bidders and the auction site.

Take a look at this coin. Blow up the obverse and look at the ear- the neck, the top of the head. Look at the reverse and look at the Earth.

Now think about the fact that this has been bid up $1300 (so far) beyond the listed PCGS price.

A PR69DCAM sells for $42. A PR68DCAM sells for $20.

Can you definitively say that this coin is "perfect" and worth 150 times the price of a PR69DCAM? Even if you bought into the market side demand of PR70DCAM coins and believed in their very elevated values- is this coin a PR70DCAM coin based on naked eye observation?

Follow the Ike Group on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/T...794568128572
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1723 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  3:03 pm  Show Profile Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow....there is a lot of schmutz on that coin..

But, but, but....I thought PCGS was the perfect grading company ;)

I can imagine if that was an NGC slab and what they would do to it on the PCGS forum
Pillar of the Community
United States
1392 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$5,800 now... I sincerely hope that shmutz is on the *outside* of the holder... Otherwise... It just hurts my head to contemplate.
-Steve (GSNA R-2306)
The Black Cabinet
A Database of Counterfeit Coins.
Counterfeit identification and attribution services.
Learn More...
United States
17197 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  3:18 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can you definitively say that this coin is "perfect" and worth 150 times the price of a PR69DCAM? Even if you bought into the market side demand of PR70DCAM coins and believed in their very elevated values- is this coin a PR70DCAM coin based on naked eye observation?

Not at all. At 100%, you can see numerous dings in the lettering, each of which should disqualify it from PR70, and none of which could be on the slab itself.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted a similar link at PCGS's forum- and one of the members thinks I'm wrong for assuming I know BETTER than the graders based on that photo.

blind faith, man... PCGS is not a religion.

Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silverguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a very cool coin. DCAM yes, 70 no. This is a solid 69 DCAM. To many minor dings. PCGS made a mistake here. Perfect example of "buy the coin, not the holder".
Pillar of the Community
917 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LincolnGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats just sad...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2304 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  5:38 pm  Show Profile Check carmykle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add carmykle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I'm totally befuddled. It has to be the photo, doesn't it? It's a nice coin but I would never grade it a 70.
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cross posted this topic at collectorsuniverse dot com - and although a few people agreed that it was curious to find these problems on a PR70DCAM- I did run into this:

"so let me get this right-----you can judge better from THAT picture than the grader(s) did with the coin in-hand? madness, sheer madness................and it's taken over this place as of late. I have noticed that as online photography has improved the critiques of the pictures have also risen steadily to where I'm not even sure that the PCGS/NGC graders are competant in the eyes of some members.

did I say it's maddening, cause it is. "

and

"I agree with xxxxx on this issue. So many seem to think they are better graders than the professionals. It amazes me that they are not working for the TPG's - surely they must be looking for the most talented individuals, and the pay is excellent. Must be some reason why they are not grading coins... ahhhh independently wealthy I guess.... Cheers"

bunch of Kool Aid drinkers, I'm tellin' ya.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4350 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go get 'em CC.

I see plenty of minor issues with this otherwise impressive coin.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Learn More...
United States
17197 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  6:19 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now you know why I don't post there any more. They already know everything; I'm unnecessary at that forum.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
822 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scubu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
so let me get this right-----you can judge better from THAT picture than the grader(s) did with the coin in-hand? madness, sheer madness.

Yeah it takes a rocket science degree and a World Class professional grader to know that a coin with a mark on it ain't a 70. duh.

When the goofy animated and huge signatures take up more space than the actual discussion it's time to look at who's running the show. The place looks like a huge cartoon and how anyone can take anyone there seriously is beyond me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1325 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I can't believe 1: that someone would drop $6,000 bucks on a Eisenhower, you gotta be kidding. 2: That coin has problems.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1029 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ghostrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At 106% I see imperfections above the eagle right wing and around the 2nd star off of the moon. I would like to believe that what I'm seeing is either dust within the slab or on top of the slab that the camera is picking up. If it was on the coin then there is something I don't know about what constitutes a 70 coin. I admit that I don't know about grading but I can tell what I don't like when I see it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3339 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  7:50 pm  Show Profile Check rachums107's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rachums107 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see somethin on the "D" in DOLLAR, like a hairline scratch or something
"Once you free your mind about a concept of harmony and music being correct, you can do whatever you want. So, nobody told me what to do, and there was no preconception of what to do."
-Giovanni Giorgio (Giorgio Moroder)

Silver War nickels found: 97
Oldest CRH find-1897 V-Nickel
Ignorance is bliss...but knowledge is power.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1723 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  8:03 pm  Show Profile Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
PCGS is not a religion.

Absolutely incorrect....beliefs always trump facts
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05