Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unexpected 1735 Halfpenny of George II

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  6:48 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This morning I placed an low bid on this halfpenny and went off to a coin show. I figured I would be easily outbid. Just now checked the website and I won it!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9808 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a beautiful coin!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, she's purrrty. Do you mind me asking how much you paid?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! That is one sweet coin! I second the !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
70 euros + 10% buyers fee = 77 euros (US$100)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Woah, that's cheap! Good job
Learn More...
United States
14096 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  7:16 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is probably a dumb question, as I know little about British coinage of this era, but does this coin show signs of being struck on an already struck coin? I see a lot of extra lettering under BRITTANIA and some other extra detail, especially on the reverse.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
9041 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The copper of George 11 in this condition is very scarce indeed. I have a few, but none anywhere this grade.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is probably a dumb question, as I know little about British coinage of this era, but does this coin show signs of being struck on an already struck coin? I see a lot of extra lettering under BRITTANIA and some other extra detail, especially on the reverse.

On the contrary, that is an EXCELLENT question!

On the reverse, the incuse letters running under "BRITAN" are "GEORGIVS" running counterclockwise, and you can see an incuse "II" just under the shield.

I vertically flipped the image of the obverse to see how another coin might have caused an obverse brockage. Obverse brockages occur when the previously struck coin is not ejected and gets stuck to the lower die.

This planchet looks like it got a weak impression of the obverse design from an initial striking with a coin stuck in the lower die, then the stuck coin was ejected, and the planchet struck again normally. If someone has a different explanation, let us know.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, I think you nailed it! That makes plenty of sense. Since the coin is in such fantastic condition the brockage is very clear. A thought: might it be severely clashed dies?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  05:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the lettering would be raised (not incuse) if it were due to a die clash.
No that's not right. A die clash would look similar. It would have to be a very severe die clash to produce such a strong effect.
Edited by t360
03/12/2012 08:28 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
9041 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
t360: Was the 70 Euros what you bid, or was it the hammer price?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was one other bidder at the opening bid of 60. I bid 70. The hammer price was 70.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3080 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazing coin! very pretty!
Pillar of the Community
United States
538 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  5:01 pm  Show Profile Check BillSnyder's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BillSnyder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi -

I believe that this is a Die Clash. Sometimes they are quite strong, like the incuse lettering near the bottom of the obverse of this piece from Bolivia -

Super-nice halfpenny, by the way!

Bill
We, who are as good as you, swear to you who are no better than we, to accept you as our king and sovereign lord, providing you observe all our liberties and laws; but, if not, not.

http://www.spain-barcelona.com/barc.../history.htm
Edited by BillSnyder
03/21/2012 5:03 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 4.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05