Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Redbook for a YN

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3180 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  4:22 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Does anyone have a old RedBook laying around that I can give to my nephew Zack. He's 11 years old and I just found out he's a coin nut. He lives in Virginia (I'm in NY) and I don't see him very often, but last weekend we bonded and he showed me a small bag of moderns he had. We went to a coin shop and I got him a couple buffalo nicks and an IHC a well as a proof set for his birth year and the kid was literally bouncing off the wall. I'm going to send him some more stuff now that I'm home and I'd like to send a RedBook also. I was wondering if anyone has laying around collecting dust they wouldn't mind donating or selling for a small fee, I'll do shipping also. Let me know.
Thank you, Steve

Learn More...
United States
14408 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  4:24 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do ;)
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
ANA LM1214396 - Early big copper enthusiast.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3180 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dave, This kid has more energy and thirst for knowledge than I can believe.
The book will be read over and over
Learn More...
United States
14408 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  6:50 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome.
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
13022 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
www.wizardcoinsupply.com is advertising the new Red Book for half price if you preorder now. This means you can get one for $7.48. I don't know what they charge for shipping but that still would make it cheaper than an old used one.
Naturally there is the possibility of a older one in a used book store, a hobby place, coin store, etc.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3180 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  4:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be honest I could have easily bought one of these for him or his Dad would have in a second.
I know people here are great and guys like Dave actually enjoy giving, especially to YN's. (Was kind of shocked to get an answer in 2 minutes though)
Also I wanted to show Zack and his Mom the kind of quality folks that reside here and to begin having some trust of this site. Not foolish trust but at least to the extent that this is a good place to purchase coins. Zack was ready to spend every cent he had, but I needed to slow him down and get him to do some reading. I was hoping for an oldish book because Zack will believe and dwell on the values. I had a hard time trying to explain to him that prices in the book are flexable, he see's it in writing and he will quote it forever.
Dave- Thanks again and I owe you one
Learn More...
United States
14408 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  6:05 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My pleasure.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, upstate => ummm, would Zack also want an old 2010 version of the Canadian Charlton Catalogue? (it might have a bit of scribbling in the quarters section, but it is certainly in good shape and totally up for grabs if he wants it!?) ...

ummm, that's kinda like the Canadian version of The Red Book ... give me a PM if you want me to send it, okay?

Steve
Edited by stevex6
03/14/2012 03:03 am
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
www.wizardcoinsupply.com is advertising the new Red Book for half price if you preorder now. This means you can get one for $7.48. I don't know what they charge for shipping but that still would make it cheaper than an old used one.

Thanks for this. I ordered two, one for me and one for my son, and it came to $19.84 with shipping for both. Can't beat that price!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3180 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stevex6 (does that mean Steve exist)
Believe it or not when he showed me his bag of coins there was a Canadian nickel in there.
He took it out and said "I only want US coins". Actually he said American but I didn't want to talk semantics at that point. So I'll respectfully decline the offer and Thank you very much. I'll let him find his way.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I started coin collecting I didnt want any American in my collection. But that has changed, I this month all I have bought has been american. Tongiht Im going to get my first morgan.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheCoinGeezer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better tell your nephew that prices in the Red Book are pretty much useless, even in the latest edition.
Where they get the prices is a mystery to me but they are generally ludicrously over-valued.
Edited by TheCoinGeezer
03/14/2012 2:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3180 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just having everything in front of him and the facts and grading information in an organized fashion, I'm sure will be a great asset to him.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
upstate => ahahahahaha! (that's classic!)

Hey, no problem whatsoever ... man, your nephew is a harsh critic, eh!?

=> Canada takes zero offense to kid's comments ...

Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add everything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can find older ones at garage/book sales, the oldest one I've found so far is a 1968.
Edited by everything
03/19/2012 9:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3180 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2012  11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vermontensium,
Got the book yesterday and will send it out this weekend.
It's like brand new -thank you
I'll let you know as this progresses -Steve
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05