Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 World Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 World Coins and Commemoratives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Would you buy the Ajman coin? (if you are bidding - why)

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
weavus135
Valued Member
United States
484 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  4:30 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add weavus135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AH1389-1970...em35ba5a6e9a

I would love a coin from Ajman. most are pretty expensive. But maybe I've become something of a snoot but does this coin look 'very attractive' to others? I know the 'colorful' toning is probably not best seen but that thing looks pretty awful.

And then secondly, how would NGC have made the distinction between this 'proof' and the regular business strike given all of this attractive toning? Anyone have a guess?

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8627 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a World coin collector and this item is interesting enough to attract me. I would do a 'Net search price wise, to determine what I would bid for it. As a last resort, I would check my Krause.

I don't normally collect NCLT, but for some strange reason, I have accumulated about 60 different world silver crowns, almost of which I acquired when silver was around $9 per ounce some time ago.

I am not an eBay buyer, and so will not get into the ring with this one, but I would certainly consider it if it came up in a postal auction I have been subscribing to for the last 15 years.
Edited by sel_69l
03/12/2012 5:26 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find this particular toning extremely unattractive, looks like someone tried to clean it off on the right of the portrait. The fact that "... but NGC has declared it a proof" makes me question authenticity of the slab.
And I believe the price will be through the roof in six days.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8627 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I were to bid on this item, would investigate it further. Quite often with modern NCLT's, more proofs a produced than uncirculateds.
Valued Member
United States
484 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add weavus135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree svslav. I think folks are going to bid like crazy. I don't get it really. I understand the scarcity but this thing looks pretty bad to me. I also question the comment about NGC. They either did or did not say it was a proof or is it really NGC. With this much toning how could they (or anyone) tell? is there some marking that shows it was/is proof. Certainly the way it looks any cameo seems to be destroyed.

And sel_691, I'm not bidding either (and that is a promise to anyone reading this). I'm really just wondering why folks think this is 'attractive'. Again, maybe the colors don't show but a proof has its own look which I thought made them worth getting.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1827 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add snowman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also unimpressed with this coin. To me it doesn't make sense to buy a modern proof coin that you can barely identify as proof. I don't doubt it's authenticity though. I bet that the patch to the right of the portrait is mirrored, just the picture doesn't show it.
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i'd like take one bid if it not goes to high
Valued Member
United States
484 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add weavus135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it sold for $140. NGC site has $125 for value. I suppose that is not too bad except for the fact it just doesn't look like it should if I were to spend that much more for a proof.

I still don't know how NGC decided it was a proof coin. I guess the picture just doesn't show the cameo or whatever NGC used to determine it from the business strike.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05