Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Variety and Error Coins, Bank Notes, Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Small beads or large beads...1965 penny.

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
wert
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1697 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  5:40 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi guys

Is this what they call large beads (left) and small beads (right) in a 1965 penny...?

The question is more important than the answer
Previously Ousted
Canada
398 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coingirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
do not think that your left coin is a 1965. 65 does not have denticles.
If the A in REGINA points to a Denticle, it is a Large beads
if it points between 2 denticles, it is a small beads.

This is a total coincident, as I have the same question about that very same year.
played around with a few and decided to ask..
is this Blant 5 or a pointed 5.

Edited by coingirl
03/12/2012 7:21 pm
Valued Member
Canada
309 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timnic44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a blunt 5 to me.I believe that with the pointed 5, the tip almost touches the branch.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1697 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coingirl....You said if the "A" in Gratia points to a denticle, then it is large bead....Well, there is NO word Gratia on any of my 1965 pennies...?

And my coin(s) are 1965....
Valued Member
Canada
235 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add folcan99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey wert, I think there where 2 types the A in Regina is pointed directely at the bead while the other is in the middle of the beads. I have both types. Atleast that how I can see why there would be 2.
Edited by folcan99
03/12/2012 6:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1697 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
folcan99...These are 3 old coins in a box..looks like all these are between.

But, it still dosen't answer my question about why one looks like denticles and the other looks like beads..Both are 1965 pennies....
Valued Member
Canada
235 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add folcan99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look at the one I posted here http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=113339 you will see that the back of the penny are large denticals while the front are small. Hope this helps. I honestley have seen 2 different types on 65 penny other then the one I just mentioned.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1697 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi folcan99....Good link, thank you.

Here is a better picture showing two 1965 pennies and it sure looks like one has denticles and one has beads....But, maybe it's just my eyes seeing what I want to see.

Edited by wert
03/12/2012 6:49 pm
Valued Member
Canada
235 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add folcan99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol, after viewing some many coins, It does have that effect. Perhaps one is more worn down then the other. There where no reports of 2 types of beads in the charlston.
Edited by folcan99
03/12/2012 6:53 pm
Previously Ousted
Canada
398 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coingirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Guys... I never make a mistake, I just get things mixed up sometimes..
sorry it is REGINA....
Valued Member
Canada
235 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add folcan99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No worried coingirl, looking at too many coins as well ah lol
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1697 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NO problem coingirl...We are have been there and probably will again....no problem....
Previously Ousted
Canada
398 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coingirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wert,
first 2 are TO a bead
3rd is between.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1697 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coingirl....Your input is always welcome....
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Canada
3453 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  8:41 pm  Show Profile Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wert, I think what you are seeing on the reverse of those coins is a function of die deterioration, probably from overpolishing of the dies. Compare the thickness of the left maple leaf stem and how solidly the '5' of the date is struck with your two coins. Compare the weakly struck denticles all around the entire circumference of the coin, do they look the same where the rim is thin compared to the opposite where the rim will be fatter? (I bet not). In fact, the 1965 coins even get worse with later strikes whereby the 5 does not have sharp boundaries and the left stem of the maple leaf is almost detached. This can make your denticles appear like beads, especially in the direction with what appears to be less of a well-defined rim. The same die deterioration phenomena can be seen in the 1964 1c strikes as well.

Good eye though, and I see your photography is much improved!
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.ca/SPP-Ottawa
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1697 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks SPP...That would explain what I am seeing...To the untrained eye (like mine) we see things that make us believe there is something wrong with this picture so to speak...But, when a gentleman like yourself with the knowledge and experience explains it, well, it makes more sense.

Thanks for the coin lesson.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05