Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Questionable Notes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
384 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  1:59 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

On an online auction I found that they are trying to sell 1928 $2 Yellow seal dollar bill. I looked online and it says that they never made yellow seal $2 bills.

Also are there such things as Brown seal $5 bills (1928 and 1953)

Can someone Enlighten me?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unscrupulous people take red seal notes and use chemicals on them to manufacture a yellow seal "error".

Brown seals are usually National Currency notes, but also can be Federal Reserve Notes (similar in appearance to Nationals) or Hawaii notes.
Edited by Nickelman
03/13/2012 2:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The yellow seals are fake. eBay has a great guide on currency and coins. Here is the one like what you mentioned.
http://reviews.ebay.com/1953-and-19...000001340402
Edited by wquinn
03/13/2012 2:55 pm
Valued Member
384 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some pictures of the auction
http://www.cinciestatesales.com/cgi...estate45/209
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty bad auction site. They don't even show the reverse. Most of those sites have no clue on what they are selling.

Here is a real one:
http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/coins-...-314603.html
Valued Member
384 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that is what makes it such a great place to pick stuff up. I have got 2 1996 mint sets (One with W dime) for $12. I picked up 2 1987 mint sets for $8. I picked up proof sets from 1999 to 2007 for about $110. Its a nice auction site but they dont put research into the auctions and they give limited data.
Valued Member
384 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always stay away from gold for these sites though. And its only a mile from my home so I can go there and self check the auctions if I have a question about legality.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05