Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What in the world is this Morgan?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  2:47 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add TonedMo87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Found this while browsing eBay. Clearly fake? I've never seen anything remotely close to this. Thoughts?

-Dan

Pillar of the Community
United States
619 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tokenmast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Selective Gold plating ,very similar to colorized ASE.
Nice if You like them
The coin is a force, TFDwall. TrueField Detective . .. Tools and Instruments.cr.tm.pat/pend. Counterfeit/off metal, silver
Pillar of the Community
United States
550 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tatt2ed13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm , Interesting ..

Is it still listed ? just curious what is writen in the description ... lol .. is it proper gold plate ?

Never saw this either , but has me curious as to why it would be done .. and what it is exactly ..

(thought this was kinda funny .. ENOUGH STICKERS? lol .. nice)

Edited by tatt2ed13
03/13/2012 3:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TonedMo87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller lists "This very beautiful 1886 P Gilted Morgan Silver Dollar is an attractive coin in lovely condition with frosty sharp detail.

Great eye appeal.!

A fine coin in lovely condition. A true piece of history and an excellent conversation piece.

Happy Bidding...!"

I really dont know how to feel about this.... Hmmm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2997 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  3:05 pm  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen these before and yes, it is "proper" gold plate. You can even buy gold plated Morgan dollars at places like APMEX for slightly above melt value (same as colorized or otherwise defaced Morgans).

I dunno... I think the colorized versions are a joke but these actually appeal to me a bit, simply because something of actual value (however small) is being added and everything looks better with a bit of gold in my opinion. I wouldn't pay anything extra for the gold plating, however.
Pillar of the Community
United States
550 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tatt2ed13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this dont look right to me ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1921-D-BU-9...t_500wt_1094
Edited by tatt2ed13
03/13/2012 3:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
619 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tokenmast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tatt2ed13

gives new meaning to blast white (sand blast)
poor job
Where as the 1886 is a quality job

edit for quality
The coin is a force, TFDwall. TrueField Detective . .. Tools and Instruments.cr.tm.pat/pend. Counterfeit/off metal, silver
Edited by tokenmast
03/13/2012 3:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TonedMo87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, and the price on eBay is a bit steep for the coin itself, just thought it was crazy as I've never read/heard anything about morgans being selectively gold plated. Still dont know how I feel on it. I cant comment on the authenticity of that coin you posted Phil, but they do make reverse proof coins, particularly in the American Silver Eagle series.

-Dan
Pillar of the Community
United States
550 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tatt2ed13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Tokenmast ..

haha no kidding rite ? holy sandblasted ..

was FUNNY as reading his description tho ..

However , I sent him a message . haha .

just waiting to see how AWESOME his reply is ..
Pillar of the Community
United States
550 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tatt2ed13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea tonedmo - For that Gold Plated Morgan . I would look into APMEX , see what they have about them (find out the amount and what not of the gold) Look over a few , and heck BUY ONE .. Knowing now its "Proper gold plate" Im thinking about it just , well , Im addicted to these things and Golds Good looking on anything .. lol

Ohh yea I know they make the REV proof on the Eagles . (have a few)

Just , not of the morgan , Nor SO POORLY Done .. . Just was kinda funny .. and at 92$ starting bid .. hope he's expecting to relist it .. And hope hes planing on dropping the price to about 35/40$ lol ..
Edited by tatt2ed13
03/13/2012 3:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2997 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  4:12 pm  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The description of the "reverse proof" Morgan states that it "HAS BEEN ENHANCED BY HAND TO BRING OUT THE NATURAL BEAUTY AND IN A REVERSE PROOF FINISH."

I just checked APMEX and don't see any gold plated Morgans currently listed. I did see them a few months ago, I swear!
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TonedMo87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, at least the seller is being "somewhat" honest, but as we all know not completely. Ha, I believe you about APMEX, just was taken back when I saw this coin. Thanks for the good info though!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3757 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a Christmas tree ornament to me....
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8873 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mints around the World will offer new NCLT product that is selectively gold plated, if they perceive a commercial opportunity. Technically, these products are usually of a high standard.

This one is obviously a private after market offer. It seems to me that the plating here is also of a high technical standard. The value of the plating would be no more than a dollar or so, the cost of putting it there I guess would be less than $10 for a large production run.

It does look rather attractive, but of little numismatic merit.

They are not my cup of tea.
Edited by sel_69l
03/13/2012 8:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1195 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  12:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add argentum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Geeeaeszzz! that "reverse proof'd" Morgan's reverse, that blast finish nibbled the tips of the eagle's wings yet is far away from the head, arrows and other devices.

FAIL on the execution of what could have been a great looking idea.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5063 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  01:05 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the RAM does a prety good job with this one .
Proof finish with selective gold plating

Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05