Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

metal detector enthusiast finding a gold aureus of Claudius!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
42 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  10:15 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Joe Geranio to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-65uZqTbo

This is a real time video of a metal detector enthusiast finding a golreal time video of a metal detector enthusiast finding a gold aureus of Claudius! ! Here is the description of the coin-from what I can see.

Claudius. AD 41-54. AV Aureus (7.53 g, 6h). Rome mint. Struck AD 46-47. TI CLAVD • CAESAR • AVG P • M • TR • P • VI • IMP • XI, laureate head right / PACI AVGVSTAE, Pax-Nemesis advancing right, spitting into upper fold of drapery she lifts with her right hand, holding winged caduceus in her left hand; to right, serpent right. RIC I 38; von Kaenel type 24; Calicó 367; BMCRE 39; BN 49-50 (Lugdunum mint).

How cool would this be?

Joe Geranio
Julio Claudian Iconographic Association

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9830 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow...that is a beautiful coin too!
Learn More...
United States
14150 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  10:41 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, fantastic find. I wish coins like this could be found here in the states. I would be out every day looking if they were.
Learn More...
United States
14441 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  10:45 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have two words like the last guy, holy blank!
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
ANA LM1214396 - Early big copper enthusiast.
Valued Member
Canada
238 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Max L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Watching these videos makes me want to take out the metal detector and go out right now haha
Valued Member
United States
422 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oxos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right behind you! Awesome video. Want to buy a metal detector right now! Don't think I would find many gold Roman coins here in the Pacific Northwest though :)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
9057 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  03:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joe: Do you know what country the find site is in?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1541 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  06:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dougsmit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pay attention to the respect the others paid to the finder by handling his coin carefully and allowing him the honor/duty of washing away the dirt. Someone grabbing the coin and rubbing the mud with a heavy thumb could have scratched a thousand dollars away from its value. Also note when the camera man was asked and did not shoot images with recognizable backgrounds. None of those guys want you seeing that field and being able to find it. There could be a few more things there and they don't want competition.

What they are doing is perfectly legal and out in the open. UK detectorists take videos and are proud of what they find because they live in a country that allows them to find coins like this and not be sent to jail. In many places a coin found like this would already have been melted into a form that would not be traceable or confiscated as government property.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2151 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jessvc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice video, wouldnt that be something to find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3537 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  12:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooow!
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2012  04:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, lucandy!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05