Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1921-P Lots Going On - VAM Help Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2336 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  09:38 am Show Profile Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I recently bought a group of Morgans to flip on the Bay and came across a really interesting one. I can't get it down to its specific VAM and would like to enlist help of the " VAM Pros from Dover" in VAM'in it. I didn't do it the best of justice with the photos, but to recap - great die crack on the obverse from Lady Liberty's neck around to "Pluribus". On the reverse, major doubling in all the "UNITED" letters and the "ST" in "States". Also, the "E" in "UNITED" is really squished. Any help greatly appreciated on this one. Paleoguy

"Life's a journey - not a destination" ~ Aerosmith
Edited by paleoguy45
03/15/2012 12:55 pm
Learn More...
United States
17303 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  11:13 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can't get it down to its specific VAM and would like to enlist help of the " VAM Pros from Dover" in VAM'in it.

What am I, chopped liver? I'm from Atlantic City.

This is going to be a tough couple of days for me, work-wise, and it'll be Saturday before I get the chance to study this one in depth. It'll be a fun coin, I think, probably an early die state of something but still providing enough evidence to maybe nail it. If you could:

1) Point that nice magnification at the date, looking for doubling.

2) Determine if the mark from the 5th right star is a die artifact or PMD.

3) Detail the crack from left star #3-7.

4) Try to get the same magnification as you did for the "N" into the area around the eagle's right (viewer's left) leg to see if we can illustrate scribbles, if any.

5) Details of the seemingly-unique cracks in STATES - I think the S-T, E-S and O-F are unique enough to be of assistance.

Also, am I right in assuming that the schtuff above the E in ONE and below the eagle's left wing are just on the surface and not die artifacts? Same for the line to the left of the B in PLURIBUS?

And don't be worried if you don't hear from me for a couple days - I've about 90 minutes left to play today with a lot to do, and then I have to work, sleep 4 hours, and then immediately get up and work a long day Friday after which I'm probably going to sleep for 12 hours.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2336 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  12:00 pm  Show Profile Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My apologies to Dover...

Here are the photos you requested. The mark behind the fifth right star was PMD. As an observation, under close scrutiny just about everything on this coin is doubled.....

Edited by paleoguy45
03/15/2012 12:58 pm
Learn More...
United States
17303 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  12:13 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome!

As I said, I'm bouncing around trying to do all the Internet stuff I need for two days, in the next 45 minutes - I generally spend 5-6 hours a day online - so I can't do much for you now.

There's plenty of evidence here. If it's possible to nail an arcane 1921 VAM, you've provided enough information to do so. Unless somebody else weighs in correctly beforehand, we'll make this my Saturday project.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Learn More...
United States
17303 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  12:17 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where'd the full-face images go?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2336 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  12:46 pm  Show Profile Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll replace the early images.. I was "saving time" and renamed the new files.... Oooops!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2336 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  8:24 pm  Show Profile Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SD,
Any luck with the "project" on thisun?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2336 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  6:44 pm  Show Profile Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SuperDave.... Any luck with VAMing this one? I assume you had a bussssssssssy week... PG
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2336 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  12:04 pm  Show Profile Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would appreciate if any of our "VAM-meisters" would tackle this really interesting Morgan. SuperDave was going to take it on, but he obviously is very busy and can't do so. Any help would be greatly appreciated! PG
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2336 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2012  1:59 pm  Show Profile Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last try on getting this gal VAM-ed. Hope SuperDave or anyone else can spend a bit of time with her. If anything else is needed photo-wise, just let me know... PG
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2336 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  7:51 pm  Show Profile Check paleoguy45's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paleoguy45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one's on the block now on eBay if anyone wants a go at it. Free shipping for a CCF member....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20074703642...i%3D1&_rdc=1
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05