Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

IS THIS COIN REAL?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  11:12 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Susana to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

my husband was paid with 16 of these varying dates from the 1700 this is from 1797,the job was only $80 so I that made me wonder who would give so many coins for so little . supposedly the coins were given to this guy by the family of the man he cared for or something like that . I used a regular kitchen scale and it weighs 19g or 0.7 oz
here is the link for the pictures https://picasaweb.google.com/109385...t=directlink
thanks
here is the other ones https://picasaweb.google.com/109385...t=directlink
the 1799 looks very real to me but it weights 19g

Edited by Susana
03/15/2012 2:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3630 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  11:25 am  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This design was only issued by the United States from 1795 to 1798. To have one would be rare to have 16 coins would scream imitation. If there are dates prior to 1795 of the same design they are certainly fake and I would feel confident all are not genuine. Sorry.
Learn More...
United States
17319 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  11:28 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to Coin Community, Susana. I wish it were under better circumstances.

Only two obverse dies were used to produce 1797 silver Dollars. One had 10 stars on the left and 6 on the right; the second had 9 stars on the left and 7 on the right. The coin your images show has 8 stars on the left and 7 on the right. Further, it should weigh 27g, a large-enough difference for even a kitchen scale.

There's not a chance it's real. By implication, the rest probably aren't, either. For the record, 16 of these in similar condition would be worth $50,000+ at retail.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Learn More...
United States
17319 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  11:38 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Added to clarify: What's the diameter of these coins? The Dollar should be around 40mm, and the Half - which was minted with that star count but should only weigh 13g, not to mention they're incredibly rare - should be 32-33mm. What does the edge lettering say?
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Susana to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i would say its about 38mm
Learn More...
United States
17319 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  11:53 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Then they're purported to be Dollars. Minimum price of admission for one of these, real, in the condition shown in your (nice) images is about $4000. Each.

Fortunately, it's only an $80 loss.

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Susana to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks .. I didnt want to send them to be appraised if I tought they were fake . any ways i'll be postng the other coins maybe we get lucky !
Learn More...
United States
17319 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  12:25 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
any ways i'll be postng the other coins maybe we get lucky !

Yes, please. Remember my mention about the weight and star counts above, and if you have any which match those factors, let's have a look. Also, mention any other dates you might have - the details may be different. The likelihood is remote, but let's give it a shot anyway.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5360 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree this is a counterfeit. To add to what has already been said, I believe the off center bust was only used on the 1795 issue.
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not bad fakes for $5 each, which is what you "paid." If I saw that as a fake on sale somewhere, I'd certainly pay $5 to fill a hole in my set. I think you did pretty well. Sure they're fake, but they're pretty nice looking fakes.

Silver lining and all
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Susana to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK HERE IS the other ones there was doubles https://picasaweb.google.com/109385...t=directlink

thanks so much for your help I tried looking them up myself but its so many of them . most of them weigh between 18 and 19 g thats the only thing that looks fake to me . im stil taking them to a local coin dealer just to make sure maybe he'lll give me $5 each , because we are not collectors
Pillar of the Community
United States
3180 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of those don't have a chance of being real coins so I doubt any are (ie: the Peace dollars)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11145 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  2:47 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm still taking them to a local coin dealer just to make sure maybe he'll give me $5 each

A legitimate dealer will not touch Chinese fakes with a 10 foot pole, there is absolutely no doubt at all that none of them are genuine nor do they contain any silver.

Quote:
I tried looking them up myself but its so many of them

You would have had a hard time finding any information for some of them because a few of them are what is known as a "fantasy piece", i.e. they have never actually been produced as an official coin or pattern.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
United States
2882 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1799 is really the crudest of the copies. Liberty's hair is in spaghetti straps, the date is in no known position, and to top it off, Liberty is FROWNING. The only thing right about the bust is, like D0ubl3Eagle refers to, that it is centered, unlike the 1797 and 1796. The reverse is even more crudely mocked up, with no vertical bands in the shield stripes, no heads on the arrows, and an eagle with what looks like a crow's head. I think I've seen a description of this counterfeit on a website somewhere...
"Knowledge is the treasure of a wise man." --William Penn
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3221 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  2:59 pm  Show Profile Check CoinsKelly's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another new member posted the Goloid Morgan Metric and SeatedNut posted a really comparison to an authentic one, http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=113940. It is different than the one you just posted - guess this guy is getting around.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4346 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A legitimate dealer will not touch Chinese fakes with a 10 foot pole

except maybe for a buck or two each. then destroy them so they cause no more harm.
My thoughts, my beliefs, my feelings are all in my brain. My brain is going to rot.

Richard Dawkins
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05