Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Vespasian Denarius

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3057 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  3:16 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I just recently picked this one up, and, honestly, I don't have any questions to ask. Rather, I just want to show off my first coin of Vespasian. This is RIC II96 Minted in Rome in 76CE. Any thoughts on my coin?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1541 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dougsmit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While worn and off center it is a type you just don't see all the time and it is clearly what it is. I have Vespasian's not any better that are noy nearly as interesting.
Learn More...
United States
13452 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  3:48 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin. Very nice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9594 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin--and Vespasian had quite an imposing profile.
Formerly jwharper
Learn More...
4253 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting coin. I haven't seen this reverse so it must be somewhat scarce. Nice pickup. Also, Vespasian is one of my favorites from the fist century. Very successful as a Legate.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8727 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few silver denarii of good silver, but in poor condition. They are scarcer than late Roman bronzes that are difficult it ID properly, but the fun of identifying them properly is perhaps greater, just because they are silver.
Edited by sel_69l
03/15/2012 6:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1490 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JimR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Interesting coin--and Vespasian had quite an imposing profile.

I agree. Vespasian is one of the most if not the most intimidating looking emperors in my opinion.
Valued Member
United States
422 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oxos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think one of the best emperor's of the 12 as well. Nice reverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4173 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ValiantKnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pickup.
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Pillar of the Community
United States
3057 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, everyone!
Valued Member
276 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add giano to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
always great and impressive vespasian's profile.....
Pillar of the Community
United States
562 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love that reverse type.
--------------------
Joseph
--------------------
>>>My Gallery<<<
Valued Member
United States
422 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oxos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example! I thought I would share the only Vespasian I have, courtesy of JW. Not quite as nice as yours but I'm happy with it.

IMP CAES VESP AVG PM COS IIII, Laureate head right, AVGVR TRI POT, sacrificial implements: Simpulum, aspergillum, jug and lituus. 72-73 AD. 3.24 grams, 17.5mm. Rome mint.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3057 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input, everyone!

I also am a bit curious as to the value of my coin. I paid (with shipping) about $68. Do you think that I did alright?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05