Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Apology to Hesgut and his 1921-S Buffalo Nickel

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1124 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  11:42 pm Show Profile Check weerdsteev's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add weerdsteev to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Right around the beginning of the year I got into a verbal battle with a CCF member named Hesgut. It got ugly and the Mods eventually took down the whole thread. Hesgut hasn't posted since January 5th and I'm not sure if that was by his choice or that of the Mods. To my way of looking at it, he provoked me unnecessarily and that's what started it. However, in the course of going back and forth I insinuated rather strongly that he was selling a counterfeit 1921-S Buffalo nickel on eBay. Which, as you might imagine, escalated our "debate" to an even more contentious level.

The reason I insinuated that his 1921-S was a counterfeit was because of the unusual placement of the "S" mint mark. It was way off-center, almost directly under the "C" in "Cents" rather than between "Five" and "Cents". I know there are instances of this in the Buffalo series, but I had never seen one on a 1921-S that was this far off center, and you would have to go a LONG way to find anyone who has handled more Buffalo nickels than me.

Well, tonight, I came across one just like Hesgut's and I can guarantee you it is NOT counterfeit.

So - wherever you are Hesgut, I apologize for insinuating your 21-S was a counterfeit. I was WRONG.

Hesgut's 1921-S reverse

My 1921-S reverse

Pillar of the Community
United States
3339 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  12:02 am  Show Profile Check rachums107's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rachums107 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Takes humility to do that...good job.
"Once you free your mind about a concept of harmony and music being correct, you can do whatever you want. So, nobody told me what to do, and there was no preconception of what to do."
-Giovanni Giorgio (Giorgio Moroder)

Silver War nickels found: 97
Oldest CRH find-1897 V-Nickel
Ignorance is bliss...but knowledge is power.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4351 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  12:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He is not locked...PM hime if you feel that strongly
My thoughts, my beliefs, my feelings are all in my brain. My brain is going to rot.

Richard Dawkins
Pillar of the Community
United States
5360 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It takes some guts to admit a mistake.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2600 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm such a newbie that I feel like what I have to learn is endless -- and apparently I'm right. With this hobby we never stop learning.

I agree with amida17 -- just copy what you wrote here and PM him. Then you'll know you've done your best.

Thanks for posting this. It was like a breath of fresh air after all the months of debates and name-calling on the news.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a good thing to apologize after you've been proven wrong instead of just ignoring it or continuing to believe the proven fact.

Good for you
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yankee1227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good job!

Its nice of you for apologizing!
"I'm living for giving the devil his due, and I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you.." Blue Oyster Cult
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1124 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  8:13 pm  Show Profile Check weerdsteev's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add weerdsteev to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sent him an email and he responded. I think we're good now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1665 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A standup move weerdsteev ...

BTW ... I've seen some of those meandering mintmarks on the 1921-S Buffs. My personal favorite is the 1916-D Buffalo with the D mintmark that's partially embedded in the C of CENTS.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yankee1227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is he allowed to post on here, or is he just not interested?
"I'm living for giving the devil his due, and I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you.." Blue Oyster Cult
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4432 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well said indeed.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4193 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very good of you to apologize.

I am pretty sure I have responded to post where I have given the wrong answer .. I guess that is all part of our learning process. I also think it does cause a lot of bad feelings. Makes people not want to read or respond to your post .. to avoid getting bad information or confrontation.

I have also seen many times where forum experts have posted their opinion that a coin is fake .. when it turns out authentic.

IMO .. everyone will get a fact wrong and make a wrong post .. how you handled this one .. should be a example for all of us.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2600 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2012  10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Learn More...
Australia
11303 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  01:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is he allowed to post on here, or is he just not interested?

He was not banned - banned members now show "On Vacation" as their forum title - but has not logged onto the forum since the incident in question.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  05:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ram96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is another reason I continue to come to this forum.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05