Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mis-Struck Conder Tokens (and others)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
530 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  2:32 pm Show Profile Check BillSnyder's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add BillSnyder to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I specialize in the older (pre-1900) mis-struck coins of the UK.

Along the way, I've found some Tradesmen and Conder error tokens. (Doublestrikes, Brockages, etc).

I've posted them at http://photobucket.com/token-errors

Any thoughts?

All the best,
Bill

We, who are as good as you, swear to you who are no better than we, to accept you as our king and sovereign lord, providing you observe all our liberties and laws; but, if not, not.

http://www.spain-barcelona.com/barc.../history.htm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1325 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  07:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bill . . I don't know anything about these but it looks like you have a knack for finding the errors. Thanks for sharing and show us more of what you collect.
OPEN 24 HRS (but not in a row)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1596 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bill .... Happy to see you here! B2

I think that the crew will enjoy seeing these early errors, just as I do. Keep 'em comin' !
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the double struck evasion token.

http://s335.photobucket.com/albums/...spear_ds.jpg

I'm not at my desk where I can look at my copy of Cobwright's Fubbaduck... is this particular strike/error listed in his guide?
Pillar of the Community
United States
530 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  10:06 pm  Show Profile Check BillSnyder's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BillSnyder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

No, that 1771 BRITAIN RULE error is not in Cobwright's book. <grin>
We, who are as good as you, swear to you who are no better than we, to accept you as our king and sovereign lord, providing you observe all our liberties and laws; but, if not, not.

Pillar of the Community
United States
530 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  10:39 pm  Show Profile Check BillSnyder's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BillSnyder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again CheetahCats,

I mis-understood the question. This Evasion type may well be in Cobwright. (My copy is not at hand at the moment).

Regards,
Bill

Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  06:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your specimen appears to be #383, Obverse G.1270, Reverse B.0775, pg.18 of Fubbaduck 1993 edition. He lists the known specimen in D.G. Vorley's collection.

However, the specimen listed in Fubbaduck does not appear to be double strike :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
530 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  1:34 pm  Show Profile Check BillSnyder's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BillSnyder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I see it!

I'll put that information in my database, where it should have been all along.

It may be that some readers are not familiar with the term Evasions.

In 18th Century England, there was a great shortage of copper coins. To fill the gap (and to make a bob or two), some individuals began making counterfeit pieces, These looked much like the real Mint products (and could be made profitably if sufficiently underweight). Many began to appear in commerce. Collectors of these old phonies now refer to these pieces as "Contemporary Counterfeits".

Laws were passed making it very serious offense to make or pass copies of the King's money.

Ah, but some sneaky people had a plan. Why not make money that didn't look like official stuff.

In the 1770's, real English copper pieces had King George's image and "GEORGIVS III" on the obverse; "BRITANNIA" (and her image) and the date on the reverse.
To evade counterfeiting charges, some enterprising people made copper pieces with other images and legends on the obverse (Isaac Newton, William Shakespeare, etc), and any-old-thing legends (BRITISH TARS, GOOD SAVE THE KING, etc) on the reverse. These pieces were often accepted as real money by the illiterate classes.
These 'not copies' are called Evasions.

I've left out much. Please feel free to make corrections or additions.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1596 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2012  7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhh, a most educational thread is at hand!

I hunger for more ... keep it comin', Bill!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05