Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Coin Roll Hunting

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Any US Bank Customers Out There?... Bad News

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
MorganDude26
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  4:02 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MorganDude26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I was at the bank yesterday and they told met that they were putting a $5.25 on boxed coins
I Now Have My Account At Wells Fargo

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1840 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes they pull that one out of thin air. Did they show you a memo? Guessing that they are tired of roll hunters. Possibly only at that branch and not corporate wide. If not, one less crh'er they have to deal with.
Oldest dug 2014: 1851 LC
2014 silvs from circ: 38
Oldest finds circulated:
1894 Barber half
1900 Victoria dime
Oldest dug: 1758 Reale
Minelab Explorer 2
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonder how long before WF does the same?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lincolncentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How can they charge ya for money? A 25 dollar box of cents,should be 25 dollars.Not 30.25.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Eupion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure if you have a merchant account, they won't throw those charges in. So, if you deposit a box, do you get that $5.25 credit? I bet the teller just recognized you as an annoying customer that makes her get up and carrying a box of coins back to her counter. (btw, not saying your an annoying customer, so assuming it's from her point of view). Because the bank that I go to, I'm fairly cool with everyone that works there, and they tell me stuff they normally won't tell other customers. Life as a teller is pretty simple. Things are almost pretty consistent with their job. There's busy days and slow days, but they usually know when those days are. From what I know, if you try to work around their busy times, tellers tend to be more helpful.

And I'm sure if the charge on boxes becomes official at all banks, assuming some banking law gets passed, I'm sure we'd all hear about it by now. And if that's the case, why not just get change for a box, minus a roll, so it's technically not a full box, hence they shouldn't be able to charge that box charge. I'm sure they won't charge people for getting change in bills/coins at low amounts, so why not a little bit more.

If you wanted to get back at the teller, you should have confirmed the charge per box, then ask for half a box of one kind, and half a box of a different change variety. I bet she'd stop talking about charges when it becomes more difficult for her. For instance, asking for $375 in quarters, $347 in dimes, $97 in nickels, and $24.25 in pennies. Make the sucker carry a bunch of different kinds, and even break down the rolls and having to count each kind. Maybe a little less cash amount if you want, but using the same rules.

Some tellers are just having a bad thou, so I won't do such a thing, unless he/she was a total pain every single time, even on a slow day when they're just watching the paint peel.
822 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scubu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you wanted to get back at the teller, you should have confirmed the charge per box, then ask for half a box of one kind, and half a box of a different change variety. I bet she'd stop talking about charges when it becomes more difficult for her. For instance, asking for $375 in quarters, $347 in dimes, $97 in nickels, and $24.25 in pennies. Make the sucker carry a bunch of different kinds, and even break down the rolls and having to count each kind. Maybe a little less cash amount if you want, but using the same rules.

If I were the bank manager I'd show you the door so fast your head would spin. What your asking them to do is NOT their job. Banks are not a public service. They exist to make money, not supply roll hunters for free.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4134 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, I do roll search. But scubu is right its NOT their job to give us coins to search.

Quote:
How can they charge ya for money?

Ever been to a coin shop?
Stay brown and hail the Boognish.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1840 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bank can charge for a box because the courier service charges the bank to pickup and deliver coin.
Consider the fact that there are monster roll hunters out there searching and dumping not one or two boxes a week, but 50-100 boxes or more of half dollars or other denominations every single week, week after week. I tend to feel slightly guilty if I place an order for two boxes lol.
Oldest dug 2014: 1851 LC
2014 silvs from circ: 38
Oldest finds circulated:
1894 Barber half
1900 Victoria dime
Oldest dug: 1758 Reale
Minelab Explorer 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
622 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add willy13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Recently I changed banks. Before I switched over, I asked if they could provide me with coins. They said they would be happy to provide me with that service. So in my case, my banks job is to provide me with coins.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
13882 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2012  9:21 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty soon EVERY bank will be feeing you to oblivion, better get used to it if you want to do business with a bank. That's just what it's become.

MorganDude, Well's Fargo is amongst the worse bank for fees, especially the hidden ones.
My main bank is a local here in California, Union Bank.
I have grown to like this bank. Not AS many fees. The only thing I don't like about them is the seldom times I ask for a box of Kennedy halves for example, the teller or manager will ask me "what are these for?" I just tell them a carnival as we are going to have a goldfish toss. I love the looks on their faces!
Edited by vermontensium
03/18/2012 9:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UH, OH! Someone got SCUBU all riled up on this subject again. If I've learned one thing it is to NOT say that banks SHOULD order coin for customers in front of SCUBU. Not a good idea. ;)

Anyhow, I just posted on this a few weeks back. I was ordering boxes of nickels, halves, cents and dimes for no surcharge for years from my US Bank here in Bremerton, Washington. Then one day they say "We can't do that for free anymore." Well...they did it for me one last time for free, but now I really can't do it without the surcharge anymore.

Anyhow, if you have a merchant account they charge a flat fee of 30 dollars per order of coin, no matter the denomination or number of boxes.

You should read my post on this subject if you can find it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4662 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  12:18 am  Show Profile Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have an account with US Bank also. I just bought a 50 dollar bag of pennies for 3.50. I had asked about getting boxes and they told me about the fee. My wife talked me into buying the bag. At least they had a smile on their face. I went to 2 other banks in town and they were very grumpy about it but the box I got at Pacific Continental had 141 wheats in it. Sweet ! I might stop back in there this week and see what kinda attitude they give me.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  04:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How can they charge ya for money? A 25 dollar box of cents,should be 25 dollars.Not 30.25.

They're not charging for money, they're charging for handling it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  04:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bank I go to to get bags of change off of their coin machine is thrilled when I come in. They have to pay the armored company to take the bags, so not only do they get to charge non-customers a fee to use the machine, they get rid of the bags for free. They call me when they have coins!
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
21093 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Someone got SCUBU all riled up on this subject again. If I've learned one thing it is to NOT say that banks SHOULD order coin for customers in front of SCUBU.
He is not the only one who thinks this way.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4662 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2012  12:40 pm  Show Profile Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Roll hunters are their own worst enemy.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05