Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

is it better to keep coins in 2x2 flips or in books/albums?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  6:45 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Davest to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have been putting my better coins in whitman books instead of keeping them in 2x2s. They are not tpgd coins,
as I have yet to join a service or submit any for grading.

what is the general consensus?

I do keep my LMC proof/unc collection in a Dansco and don't have enough of any other denomination to do so.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5081 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  6:54 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use both albums and 2x2's that I put in albums that hold the 2x2's
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Storage methods amongst collectors are almost as varied as the coins they collect. You will have trouble getting a consensus. Personally I go for 2x2's inserted into plastic sleeves and then put in two ring binder folders.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2585 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use 2X2's. The coins I put into Whitman folders (decades ago) ended up with glue marks on the reverses.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add donniebarn1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use only Dansco albums which have plastic above/below the coins for my Type sets and Lincolns. I keep all non-set coins in 2X2's, making sure I use 4 staples close to the coin so that the coin is sealed from the air. Air, plus smoke and other things it carries, is the primary villain of coins. Any albums which do not cover the coins should not be used for coins of any value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1195 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add argentum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use folders for my circulating US coins and 2x2/pvc flips for my silvers. Most of my foreigns I've left in the open air. Eventually I'll put them in 2x2's.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13036 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This subject comes up often. And as already noted there are differences of opinions. Mostly on this forum people use Dansco Album when an Album is discussed. Also, most are against Folders due to many problems with using them.
Compared to using a 2x2, possibly one of the better methods for preservation of coins but difficult to look at them all at one time. When it comes to Albums, most are comparible and basically the same for what they do for organizing and preserving of coins. Most are OK and some of the reasons for Dansco preferences are looks only. Yet those that like them for looks seldom if ever show them off.
It is really a decision you must end up making for yourself.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1359 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use 2x2s that go into a 20 slot holder page and that page goes into a 3 ring binder.
Valued Member
Serbia (Srbija)
449 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mvojnovic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use 2x2 but most of my coins are in plastic boxes because I cant put them all in 2x2 jet (need more albums, space and money) But my goal is to have at least one album for each country and all coins in 2x2 marked with basic information about the coin.
"Navikli smo da, naime, vladamo tuđim, a ne drugi našim ,u to smo sigurni dok bude ratova I mačeva"
Daurentije
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Davest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the replies. As I said, I already have a Dansco for my Lincoln Memorials(proofs and uncirculateds), my Lincoln Wheats(mostly g to f grade)and a 7070 type set of varying grades.

My concern is with my Franklin Halfs. I have been buying as good a coin as I can afford in this series and want to avoind toning problems, glue stickage, and any other things that might come up due to being in folders. I don't like to have a bunch of 2x2s in boxes so I just sprang for the Dansco book for them too. I really like being able to see both sides of the coin

Thanks again.
Learn More...
United States
21886 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use Dansco albums and have no problem keeping my proof coins in them. Many of them have been in there for almost twenty years now.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ZiggyZ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the Whitman folders a lot. Especially if you are collecting form circulation, the ease of swapping coins is a strong selling point. Also, while folders have their drawbacks (like any form of storage), I would point out that quality has improved over the years, and glue marks on the backs of coins are no longer an issue.
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mvandemark to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have most of my coins in 2X2 flips. I have my sets and personal favorites in flips placed in the plastic sleeves in 3 ring binders. For my BU coins that I have multiple of, I have them in 2X2 flips and in a 2X2 box. For my circulated bulk coins I have them separated by general dates i.e. pre 1960, P$D wheats, S Wheats and so on in glass jars.
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add COMET to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Storing coins in folders or albums promotes toning. The edges are exposed to air in the Dansco albums since the plastic sometimes doesn't cover it entirely. And sometimes the material from the pages will tone the coin too. Folders are the same, the material used to make them will tone coins. But it really depends on the climate you store your coins in, some collectors have coins in Dansco albums for years with no problems. But some have had them only for a few years and the coins are wildly toned.

2x2 flips in album pages are fine as a long as the pages are PVC free. Otherwise Air-Tites would be good too.
Learn More...
United States
14429 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  7:23 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of my collection are in non-plasticized rigid 2x2 holders. My more expensive coins are in TPG holders for extreme long term protection. I just feel safe when they are surrounded by hard plastic :)
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
ANA LM1214396 - Early big copper enthusiast.
Learn More...
United States
21886 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But it really depends on the climate you store your coins in, some collectors have coins in Dansco albums for years with no problems. But some have had them only for a few years and the coins are wildly toned.
Emphasis is mine. This is very important to remember!

Keep in mind that 2x2 holders and OGP proof sets are not air tight either. They can be affected by the storage environment as well.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05