Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

where to buy a camera

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
67 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  07:48 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gary1218 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Do you pretty much just do a Google search for the camera you want and then look for the cheapest price from a place that has a good vendor rating? Or are there recommended places to buy cameras from?

Specifically I'm looking for a Canon T2i kit. Best price I've found is $450 with free shipping from CertifiedDigital.com.

Anything to be aware of when dealing with some of these Internet places?

THANKS.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2819 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  09:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
be aware that local dealers and distributors may not honour a warranty on an item purchased overseas.
And, I have seen one distributor assert "no warranty for any item purchased by way of the internet", but I doubt that that would stand up against the consumer-protection statutes.
Learn More...
United States
17197 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  12:19 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Online retailers can be extremely shady characters. Certified Digital appears to be one of them. Here is your hookup for finding out about an online retailer:

http://www.resellerratings.com/

You will be very lucky to find a T2i kit for less than $600 from a trustworthy retailer. If the price is less, walk carefully.

Me? If I'm in the market for electronics, it's Adorama, B&H and a couple other major New York City retailers, and maybe Newegg.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gary1218 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YIKES!

Thanks very much for the heads up Dave.

Looks like Adorama has it for the same price as the Canon online store. Maybe I'll just buy it direct from Canon.
Edited by gary1218
03/24/2012 12:43 pm
Learn More...
United States
17197 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  1:43 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm kind of surprised at how strong the T2i's price remains, with the T3i on the market. OTOH it's a lot of camera for $650, worth every penny if you're going to explore its' capabilities.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1589 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  6:05 pm  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got mine (body only) from Amazon for $499 free shipping. The kit was around $600 with 18-55mm...Ray
Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9708 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dealers I've used that I can recommend without reservation:
B&H Photo/video
KEH (I bought a lot of used Nikon bodies from them)
Adorama
Edited by DVCollector
03/24/2012 11:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1098 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jprine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have bought from B & H also and have been very pleased.
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gary1218 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far all the better places online look to be the same price at $650. I don't need it for a few weeks yet so I'm going to check around locally.

Thanks for all your input.
Valued Member
United States
187 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you do an Amazon search, make sure you read the reviews on the seller first. There are what seem to be a lot of screaming deals and you know what they say about that, if it seems to be too good to be true..... There are a lot of bait and switch dealers online. B&H is a very reputable dealer.
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  2:44 pm  Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased my body only of the T2i from 42photo.com, a large, and very very trustworthy New York seller. I paid $449 for the body on sell, because I already had a kit lens from my other Canon camera. I know they also have the kit there. You will love the T2i, it's a "hidden treasure" in the Canon lineup -- it has the same digital sensor chip as the ~$1600+ Canon 7D body.

The current "Kit" price with the 18-55mm lens is $580 from 42photo.com.
Edited by brg5658
03/25/2012 2:46 pm
Learn More...
United States
17197 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  3:11 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The current "Kit" price with the 18-55mm lens is $580 from 42photo.com.

There's a deal. I've done business with 42nd Street Photo, as well, and have no trouble recommending them.

Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  5:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gary1218 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

They've moved to the top of my list
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5196 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  9:43 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
B&H is the gold standard, I spent over $150,000.00 on camera gear with them over my career as a photographer. My current goto shop is phone only, since I worked there for several years and they are all good friends of mine Oceanside Photo & Telescope http://www.optcorp.com (no cameras on the site, we had too many fraudulent purchase attempts so OPT took the cameras down, and will only sell via the phone, super guys and close personal friends of mine!

http://photo.net/neighbor/subcategory-index?id=2

Above is a great resource to check before buying anything from someone online, check out the reviews carefully. On that note B&H just delivered a brand new Canon 5DmkIII to my roommate today, it's sitting in the box on the kitchen table! Can't wait to check that bad boy out! What a camera but expensive at $3200.00 body only, it will blow my 1Ds away.

+1 on http://www.KEH.com too, I've only purchased used stuff from them, but always a great deal and transaction.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Edited by westcoin
03/27/2012 9:44 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05